https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/50542-translations_for_0004_a_word.html

Translations for 0.004 a word!!!
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:55
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2006

Post from Sci.lang.translation and my response:

"[email protected]" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For your translation needs, the cheapest prices.
> See and compare these prices:
>
>>From English to Spanish: 0.004 US$/word.
>>From Spanish to English: 0.008 US$/word.
>>From French to Spanish: 0.008 US$/word.
>>From German to Spanish: 0.012 US$/word.
>
> You will get a human, carefully revised translation.
> For more information write to xxxxxx$yahoo.com (replace $ with @)
>

Dear XXXXX,

I have a very large English to Spanish job (150,000 words) to translate by next Friday.

I will be paid a proper rate of .10 for this document (or $15,000), but I will gladly subcontract this job out to you at 0.004 per word or $600. That way, I can enjoy my free time, let you do all the work, and still pocket $14,400!

What country do you live in so I can provide you with payment options?

Do you have the latest version of Windows and Word, broadband internet access (this is a large file), and Trados or other CAT software?

I look forward to this collaboration, especially since it means I will never have to work again!

[Edited at 2006-07-02 05:43]

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:55
English to Russian
+ ...
you are right... sort of Jul 2, 2006

You said that you'll never work again and you are right, only in a different sense. Subcontracting like that is equal to killing your reputation instantly. You get what you pay for... and there is no free lunch.

EDIT: I'm assuming that the post had an extra zero in each of the rates.

[Edited at 2006-07-02 05:45]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translations for 0.004 Jul 2, 2006

Maybe he did have an extra zero, or maybe not, you can never tell these days! But even so, if you cannot even write a simple advertisement without making such a basic error - especially in something as important as your pricing structure - how great is your translation going to be?

And he is referring to himself as cheap - I don't consider .12 (if you remove the extra zero) to be "cheap" for German to Spanish or .08 for Spanish to English to be the "cheapest".

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

You said that you'll never work again and you are right, only in a different sense. Subcontracting like that is equal to killing your reputation instantly. You get what you pay for... and there is no free lunch.

EDIT: I'm assuming that the post had an extra zero in each of the rates.

[Edited at 2006-07-02 05:45]

[Edited at 2006-07-02 05:52]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
And this person wants us to believe s/he is proficient in FOUR languages! Jul 2, 2006

This has to be a joke! I don't know whether I should laugh or cry... Very sad...

I really hope that there was one zero too many in the rates - I mean to the right of the decimal sign, not to the left!

However, come to think of it: someone who advertizes their services on sci.lang.translation must be really desperate for work... All I have is a ProZ profile and people bug me all the time with work - that pays at least 15 times more than this!

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
USUAL QUOTE FOR SPAIN Jul 2, 2006

It is so...

smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
My grain of salt Jul 2, 2006

Last Friday I just got contacted by a US agency. This agency has about 5 opinions in the Blue Board, all of them made by enthusiastic translators willing to work with them anytime. Well, this agency said they usually paid 0.025USD/word for Eng-Sp translations and 0.01USD/word for proofreading. If I was willing to work for these fees, they would be sending me a translation test!

I was speechless!

[Edited at 2006-07-02 13:27]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 20:55
English to Russian
Please, move over here Jul 2, 2006

http://www.proz.com/topic/49800
To prevent twin threads from multiplying.
Or drop it altogether, everyone's bored with it.
Stay well
Aleksandr

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"translations for 0.004 a word" Jul 3, 2006

must be darn short words - "I the he hi bye los gatos" (*)

smo

*: going to extremes with the last example

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations for 0.004 a word!!!

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »