Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
90-day payment term for ongoing project which will end in mid-Spetember=payment due in December!!!
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo
Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:42
Danish to English
+ ...
Have your own payment policy Jul 13, 2006

I agree with Henry and Astrid.

Also in the future you should have your own policy.

I have my own payment policy written clearly on the invoice so the companies know. It's fair and logical. I'm not trying to pressure for payment, but don't want to be cheated either.

I did this because I hadn't been paid by a client and then I watched a TV show stating clearly that if the person/company has not paid you within the agreed time then they are not your customer
... See more
I agree with Henry and Astrid.

Also in the future you should have your own policy.

I have my own payment policy written clearly on the invoice so the companies know. It's fair and logical. I'm not trying to pressure for payment, but don't want to be cheated either.

I did this because I hadn't been paid by a client and then I watched a TV show stating clearly that if the person/company has not paid you within the agreed time then they are not your customer anymore (and you wouldn't want to do business with them in the future anyway). That means you need not be sad to lose a client, who's not really a client anyway.

My relationship with client's has actually improved rather than been to the detriment.

It's been good for me to show that everything is under control. That includes payment terms.

Of course I give a bit with clients, re big jobs, "urgent" jobs, late payments and discounts as it's part and parcel. But I have my own policies so I know where I stand.

Jande
Collapse

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 03:42
Greek to English
+ ...
I would like your opinion Jul 13, 2006

I would like your opinion, and probably the opinions of experts on this:

It came to my attention (and was confirmed by a colleague) that some project managers in agencies enter into "under the table" agreements with some translators for promotion purposes. The general concept is "form a shady review for other established translators in the agency, and I will give you a percentage from all jobs you send to me".
This includes provoking the translator to protest for late payments
... See more
I would like your opinion, and probably the opinions of experts on this:

It came to my attention (and was confirmed by a colleague) that some project managers in agencies enter into "under the table" agreements with some translators for promotion purposes. The general concept is "form a shady review for other established translators in the agency, and I will give you a percentage from all jobs you send to me".
This includes provoking the translator to protest for late payments, or for agreements for payments in installments (which is the very subject of this thread), so that the translator "looks bad" and the new translator takes his/her place... with a commission to the project manager who supported this underlying and not so visible process.

So far, I have been notified of two (2) specific incidents from one colleague, and both of them were affirmed by another colleague (who doesn't work for the specific agencies).

In summary, "secret agreements between translators and project managers for the promotion of specific translators in a biased manner, and on consideration of a certain commission from every job awarded to them".

In general, such behaviors seem to constitute violations of the law. How are things in different countries, and how are things in an international scale (i.e. when the agency has its headquarters in the US, but the project manager is located at a branch in Germany or England)?

Your opinions please, I would appreciate it. Yes, this has to do with this thread, since it supposes an existence underlying process which can delay payments as apart of a "shady" policy.

Thank you very much
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

90-day payment term for ongoing project which will end in mid-Spetember=payment due in December!!!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »