How to charge for modifications in target text?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

Hi!

I have been given a source text together with its previously made (not by me) translation. The source text has been modified (bits altered, some sentences deleted, others added, numbers changed etc.), and I have been asked to do the same modifications to the target text.

How would you handle charging for such a job?

Thanks for your comments!

Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:13
English to Greek
+ ...
Hello Erik, Jul 12, 2006

I usually charge by the hour for such jobs.

Regards,
Nadia

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No agency will pay by the hour Jul 12, 2006

Assuming that you have been sent the modified version with the changes shown in the Track Changes mode:

First make a few copies of that document. With one, accept all the changes, with another copy reject all the changes. Trados does not work in Track Changes mode in any case. You will be working with the copy where you have accepted the changes.

The copy where you rejected all the changes should be the original, and match the original translation. You therefore WinAlign them, which is usually not so difficult or time-consuming. With the result of the alignment you create a TM, to use to translate the new version.

Before starting to translate the new version, run a Trados analysis. From that you will find out the percentage changes to the document, including the percentages of fuzzy matches, etc. You base your pricing on that. Maybe you charge a slightly higher rate, to take into account the extra work of WinAligning the documents before you start.

Astrid

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
No? What a shock! Jul 12, 2006

I must have been working with truly unprofessional agencies, because I always get paid by the hour for that type of work... I am shocked you said no agency will pay in that fashion!

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for modifications in target text?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search