How to charge for modifications in target text?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

Hi!

I have been given a source text together with its previously made (not by me) translation. The source text has been modified (bits altered, some sentences deleted, others added, numbers changed etc.), and I have been asked to do the same modifications to the target text.

How would you handle charging for such a job?

Thanks for your comments!

Erik

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:33
English to Greek
+ ...
Hello Erik, Jul 12, 2006

I usually charge by the hour for such jobs.

Regards,
Nadia

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No agency will pay by the hour Jul 12, 2006

Assuming that you have been sent the modified version with the changes shown in the Track Changes mode:

First make a few copies of that document. With one, accept all the changes, with another copy reject all the changes. Trados does not work in Track Changes mode in any case. You will be working with the copy where you have accepted the changes.

The copy where you rejected all the changes should be the original, and match the original translation. You therefore WinAlig
... See more
Assuming that you have been sent the modified version with the changes shown in the Track Changes mode:

First make a few copies of that document. With one, accept all the changes, with another copy reject all the changes. Trados does not work in Track Changes mode in any case. You will be working with the copy where you have accepted the changes.

The copy where you rejected all the changes should be the original, and match the original translation. You therefore WinAlign them, which is usually not so difficult or time-consuming. With the result of the alignment you create a TM, to use to translate the new version.

Before starting to translate the new version, run a Trados analysis. From that you will find out the percentage changes to the document, including the percentages of fuzzy matches, etc. You base your pricing on that. Maybe you charge a slightly higher rate, to take into account the extra work of WinAligning the documents before you start.

Astrid
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
No? What a shock! Jul 12, 2006

I must have been working with truly unprofessional agencies, because I always get paid by the hour for that type of work... I am shocked you said no agency will pay in that fashion!

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for modifications in target text?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »