Laura Morarelli
Italy
Local time: 20:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2006

Hallo everybody,

Hallo

I just need information from the translators that have a longer experience than me.
I used to work as a translator for a company based in the UK and I got a NI number. They dealt with payments to the Inland Revenue. I don't work for them any longer and at the moment I work sometimes for agencies and I usually prepare an invoice (even if I don't have a VAT number) and they pay me in my UK bank account.
I just wanted to ask you which is the normal procedure, do translation agencies usually pay for the taxes themselves (like here in Italy - ritenuta d'acconto) or do I have to pay for them?
Does anybody know if there's a non-taxable minimum amount?

Thanks a lot for your help

Laura

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Morarelli
Italy
Local time: 20:33
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more precisely ... Jul 14, 2006

I meant to say "non-taxable minimum income per year".

Thanks

KNSteffensen
Japan
Local time: 03:33
Danish to English
+ ...
Liability for taxes in the UK Jul 14, 2006

I doubt that you are liable to pay tax and National Insurance in the UK if you are not resident in the country. I believe that you should instead declare your income from UK clients in your country of residence and pay tax and VAT on it there. You do, however, mention that you receive payments into a UK bank account. In that case you may be considered resident in the UK for tax purposes. Your case sounds ambiguous and I suggest that you consult with an accountant or tax adviser, with HM Revenue and Customs (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/), or with the relevant Italian authority.

As a freelancer in the UK you would normally pay your taxes yourself. If you earn less than £ 61,000 per annum you do not have to register for VAT.

Your tax-free allowance is £ 5,035 in the current tax year. It was £ 4,895 for the 2005-2006 tax year. The first 5,035 you earn should therefore not be taxed.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
not taxed but declared Jul 14, 2006

Kenn Steffensen wrote:
Your tax-free allowance is £ 5,035 in the current tax year. It was £ 4,895 for the 2005-2006 tax year. The first 5,035 you earn should therefore not be taxed.

you still have to register as self employed and fill in your tax return

Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Taxation in place of residence Jul 14, 2006

I also think this income should be reported and taxed in Italy, regardless of where you actually receive it.

No tax will be paid on it for you by the clients.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Tax liability linked to residency Jul 15, 2006

Hi!
You are only liable for UK tax if you are "tax resident". That means living in the UK for more than 6 months of the year. If that is not the case you are not liable for UK tax. Like most of us, I earn income from customers all over but only pay tax in the country where I live.
Hope that helps
Gillian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taxes in the UK

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search