Paypal made me neither laugh nor cry!
Thread poster: James_xia

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 16, 2006

Hi! My Colleagues,

Having learned the questions about paypal from Ivette (Germany). Here I would like to share with you my personal “experience” in using paypal, actually, in getting money out of it.

Since I registered an account with paypal this year, I haven’t got no cent out of paypal. So far my paypal account has accumulated over USD 1200 translation fees my clients paid to me.

First is that I registered an account in my name and hoped to use my wife’s credit card. But paypal staff kindly told me that it was not permitted.

Then, I registered another account in my wife name, and I spend lot efforts to apply for a credit card (VISA) to the local Industrial and Commercial Bank. But this card was not available in claiming the withdrawal in paypal account. My card was simply rejected in ID verification process. I went and called to the local branch and even Beijing headquarters many times to inquiry why I failed in use with paypal. All of them were unable to give the answer. J

Finally, I searched for the related information on Internet and learned that all the international credit cards issued by the Chinese banks cannot be used directly with paypal. And paypal actually provided 2 main ways for the user to withdraw money from his/her account: one is for the American users, who can easily withdraw money from the automatic cashier in the US; another way is for the users in Hong Kong, who can withdraw money from paypal through the related local bank.

What made me really speechless is that I tried to get an account with China Merchants Bank, which has an office in Hong Kong. But 2 difficulties came to me when I inquired to the staff: They told me first I MUST personally register an special account to their branch in another city, 500 km away from Chongqing; And then I had to personally get the account in Hong Kong probably 3 weeks later!

Some one told me if I wanted to get money out of paypal, maybe one day after an American bank has opened a branch in Mainland China!

After all failed, I ‘m prepared to withdraw money directly from paypal by way of claiming a cheque. Before I entered the international translation market, I hadn’t really expected to experience this funny problem.

My colleagues, can any of you have better solutions to my situation?

Many thanks for your time!

Direct link Reply with quote

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:09
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I too do it with cheque Jul 16, 2006

That is how I too withdraw money from paypal - by cheque. Bank Transfer facility is only available if your bank account is in USA.

They charge me $5 per withdrawal. minimum withdrawl amount is $150. It takes about 40 days for the cheque to reach me by post. But the cheque is in Indian rupees so I can deposit it into my local bank and it gets encashed in two or three days.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No problem Jul 16, 2006

I have a VISA card, a PayPal account, and no trouble transferring funds to my UK bank account.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Also European bank accounts Jul 16, 2006

I could withdraw my Paypal money to a normal bank account without credit card.
Many countries seem to have difficulties with Paypal, but it should be possible to use the money at Ebay or other services or use it to pay colleagues through it.
Regards
Heinrich

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Maybe you should try Western Union Jul 16, 2006

Via Western Union the money can even be sent to countries from where no money could be sent at all.

It will usually arrive within 2 days, and for an amount of $1000 or more the charge is not very different from the one of a paypal business account.

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 09:39
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Which Paypal have you tried? Jul 16, 2006

Hi James,
Sorry to hear about all of the problems you're having. I had a nightmare recently setting up my Moneybooker's account but fortunately that's working fine now.

I have an account with Paypal which is fine because I also have an account in London for the funds to be transferred into but I'm wondering if you have registered with paypal.com or paypal.com.cn specifically for China.

I think you'll find with Paypal China you shouldn't have any trouble transferring funds into an account with the Bank of China or China Merchants or any large Chinese bank.

You could give it a try, it may make life easier for you.

Good luck and best wishes,
Mark

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Harry Bornemann's good suggestion (WU) Jul 16, 2006

[start quote]

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Via Western Union, the money can even be sent to countries from where no money could be sent at all.

It will usually arrive within 2 days, and for an amount of $1000 or more, the charge is not very different from the one of a paypal business account.

[end quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree with Harry Bornemann's good suggestion about using WU (aasuming a service point is conveniently nearby).

The service charges for currency conversions (USD $ Middle Eastern national currencies) via WU also seem very reasonable, and that process is much, much less clunky than is flailing around with PayPal. Fall-back method can be Thomas Cook or AMEX.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sincerely appreciate all your kindest suggestions... Jul 17, 2006

Balasubramaniam: That’s very kind of you showing the details about how to process it by way of cheque!

Peter Linton: Thanks and I’m happy to see you’re doing well with your paypal account.

Heinrich Pesch: Thanks a lot for your advice!

Harry Bornemann: OK..I will check with Western Union, at Agricultural Bank of China. Thank you!

Mark: I do have registered with paypal.com. I will contact paypal.com.cn for a try. Thank you very much!

Stephen: I will sure check the WU with the bank as per your confirmation! Thank you...

[Edited at 2006-07-17 06:37]

camuippt
Local time: 23:39
English
Help Jul 22, 2006

I am new user of paypal.com. Can someone tell me how i can withdraw my founds via western union??please i really need this response

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:39
English to German
+ ...
Forum search - or post new topic? Jul 22, 2006

camuippt wrote:

I am new user of paypal.com. Can someone tell me how i can withdraw my founds via western union??please i really need this response

Have you tried the forum search? Chances are this was discussed here before. Failing that, you may want to post a new topic.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal made me neither laugh nor cry!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search