80$/1000 words for Japanese-Thai translation. Good enough for a newcomer?
Thread poster: banchongsan (X)
banchongsan (X)
banchongsan (X)
Local time: 10:55
Japanese to Thai
+ ...
Jul 17, 2006

Hello. I have been a free member of proz.com since April. Today I was offered to translate from Japanese to Thai for 80$/1000 words. I want to know whether this is good enough for a starter. Thank you in advance.

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
It seems a bit low to me! Jul 18, 2006

The rate you are suggesting seems a bit low, especially if proposed in Europe.

I would say that if the outsourcer is Asian, it might (but I cannot say because I don't know that market at all) be an equal price.

But if the outsourcer is European, it is really very low. Japanese-Thai are very rare languages to find in Europe. When you have to decide a rate to propose, and you feel you can start off low, you must also realise that it won't be possible afterwards to raise
... See more
The rate you are suggesting seems a bit low, especially if proposed in Europe.

I would say that if the outsourcer is Asian, it might (but I cannot say because I don't know that market at all) be an equal price.

But if the outsourcer is European, it is really very low. Japanese-Thai are very rare languages to find in Europe. When you have to decide a rate to propose, and you feel you can start off low, you must also realise that it won't be possible afterwards to raise those rates too much. So you must see things prospectively.

If you feel you can do a good and professional translation right now, then ask for the market rate, maybe with a slight discount.

To give you an idea, for this pair in Italy (if there was a request) you could ask at least for 300$/1000 words.

So, look around first.
Good luck!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Compare your rates... Jul 18, 2006

banchongsan wrote:
Today I was offered to translate from Japanese to Thai for 80$/1000 words. I want to know whether this is good enough for a starter.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss specific rates in the forums, but if so, then allow me to say that the rate you mention is not far off from the rate I usually charge, and many translators and a few agencies have told me that my rate is "within reasonable limits" but slightly "on the low side".

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:55
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I think it's a fair price Jul 18, 2006

For someone living in Europe.

However, I don't know the cost of living in your country, but this is usually what European agencies offer (except for Portugal and Spain in the western side of Europe that actually offer lower rates).

I also don't know how it works regarding the rarity of a language pair.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good rate Jul 18, 2006

banchongsan wrote:

Hello. I have been a free member of proz.com since April. Today I was offered to translate from Japanese to Thai for 80$/1000 words. I want to know whether this is good enough for a starter. Thank you in advance.

That is actually quite a good rate for a newcomer. Only a very experienced and specialized translator may charge more. If they pay you promptly and are otherwise nice to work with, hang on to that client!

smittenkitten
smittenkitten
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't think you are a starter Jul 19, 2006

If your translation is good enough for a client then your pay is good enough for a translator, not for a starter! I'm sure you have other experiences that make you good.

jerrick
jerrick
Local time: 16:55
English
+ ...
Anything is better than nothing! Jul 19, 2006

Anything is better than nothing!
By saying that, i mean the utmost thing for you at
the moment is to get as much experience as possible
under your belt. Once you've got enough experience which u can show to your wanna-be clients, you're certainly able to
raise your rate bar. Until then, keep working and more importantly have fun!
Jerrick

banchongsan (X)
banchongsan (X)
Japanese to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your comments Jul 19, 2006

Thanks a lot everyone! I have already accepted this rate.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tina, you cannot generalise what is a good rate for a newcomer! Jul 23, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

That is actually quite a good rate for a newcomer. Only a very experienced and specialized translator may charge more. If they pay you promptly and are otherwise nice to work with, hang on to that client!

Different languages command different rates. The rates for combination of Japanese is much higher than for example Latin languages or European languages generally. I would expect Thai also commands more.

The rarity of combination, as Ivana mentioned, is a major factor. What the agencies offer for their usual languages is not a guideline in this case. There are no more than 20 translators on ProZ with this language combination!

Bangchonsan, I know, that you asked the question on the Japanese forum, and I am a bit surprised, that apart from a general advice by Henry, nobody answered.

This job may be a good start for you. In the main time do a bit of research to find out more and ask some translators' associations, like the Institute of Linguists for advice. If you enjoy the work and are confident of your abilities, as a beginner, you can ask around the lower to middle range of the rates for YOUR LANGUAGE COMBINATION and ask more as time passes by and you gain experience and proven track record.

Good luck
Judith

EngRusTranslations -
EngRusTranslations -
Local time: 02:55
English to Russian
+ ...
GoldenAmber Aug 24, 2006

Low rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

80$/1000 words for Japanese-Thai translation. Good enough for a newcomer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »