Prices for subtitling
Thread poster: Izabella Kraus
Izabella Kraus
Izabella Kraus  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2002

I recently got an offer of cooperation from a subtitling company (which notabene got a good review on the blueboard), offering me a price of 23 US cents per subtitle box.

It seemed to me like a very low price, so I rejected the offer, quoting my regular prices. However, they pointed out, that subtitle boxes are different than standard lines or other ways of calculating, as they are max. 44 characters, and often a lot less than that. I have never translated a live subtitling job and I
... See more
I recently got an offer of cooperation from a subtitling company (which notabene got a good review on the blueboard), offering me a price of 23 US cents per subtitle box.

It seemed to me like a very low price, so I rejected the offer, quoting my regular prices. However, they pointed out, that subtitle boxes are different than standard lines or other ways of calculating, as they are max. 44 characters, and often a lot less than that. I have never translated a live subtitling job and I am confused. Is this price acceptable, or average? Or are they trying to get cheap labour? I would appreciate if colleagues with experience in this area shared it with me. Any other tips - what to be careful about - will also be highly appreciated. You can also contact me directly per e-mail, or phone. All the details are in my profile. I will call back if needed.
Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Have you "searched" ProZ? Sep 17, 2002

I have no clue about subtitling (apart from the fact that some of us do a lot of subtitling via KudoZ), but if you enter \"subtitling\" in the \"Search\" box in the lower left-hand corner of the ProZ page, you will get lots of hits from both jobs and Forums sections (e.g., http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=26702#26702).

By the way, my rule of thumb is that an averag
... See more
I have no clue about subtitling (apart from the fact that some of us do a lot of subtitling via KudoZ), but if you enter \"subtitling\" in the \"Search\" box in the lower left-hand corner of the ProZ page, you will get lots of hits from both jobs and Forums sections (e.g., http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=26702#26702).

By the way, my rule of thumb is that an average English word has 6 characters, so a 44 character box may contain over 7 average words, i.e. bearly 3 cents/word in such an extreme case.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:29
SITE FOUNDER
Money matters, frequently discussed Sep 17, 2002

As a pricing issue, this belongs in the \"money matters\" section of the forums. The topic has been discussed several times, so please look through that forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices for subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »