https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/5268-italian_translators_working_with_foreign_agencies%3A_which_kinds_of_service_agreement.html

Italian translators working with foreign agencies: which kinds of service agreement?
Thread poster: paolavi
paolavi
paolavi
Local time: 13:56
German to Italian
Sep 24, 2002

Dear collegues,

I would like to cooperate with foreign translation agencies in Germany, Switzerland, UK, USA. At the moment, I work only with Italian agencies, I don\'t have the PARTITA IVA (VAT number), I issue invoices for occasional supply of services (20%taxes are paid by the agencies to the Italian Government). I receive net payments and do not need to pay any taxes (agencies do it for me). I would like to know which type of service agreement/contract exists in above countries. Ar
... See more
Dear collegues,

I would like to cooperate with foreign translation agencies in Germany, Switzerland, UK, USA. At the moment, I work only with Italian agencies, I don\'t have the PARTITA IVA (VAT number), I issue invoices for occasional supply of services (20%taxes are paid by the agencies to the Italian Government). I receive net payments and do not need to pay any taxes (agencies do it for me). I would like to know which type of service agreement/contract exists in above countries. Are taxes paid by agencies or by translators? Should I have a VAT registration number?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Paola
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
VAT and foreign agencies. Sep 29, 2002

If you work for agencies in the USA and Switzerland, you do not need a VAT-nummer at all. Only if you work for European countries. You export your services to outside the E.U. If you work for British and German agencies, you do not need to calculate VAT on your invoices. There is a kind of standard line: \"Exempt of V.A.T. due to export within the E.U.). You do have to mention your VAT-nummber on the invoices. As a translator, you have an interest not to work for agencies in your own country. Wh... See more
If you work for agencies in the USA and Switzerland, you do not need a VAT-nummer at all. Only if you work for European countries. You export your services to outside the E.U. If you work for British and German agencies, you do not need to calculate VAT on your invoices. There is a kind of standard line: \"Exempt of V.A.T. due to export within the E.U.). You do have to mention your VAT-nummber on the invoices. As a translator, you have an interest not to work for agencies in your own country. Who would like to work for Italian agencies anyway, given their payment terms and rates?Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check with your tax advisor Sep 29, 2002

To be on the safe side, you should check the exact details with your tax advisor.

You may also want to have a look at a number of recent VAT-related threads in the forums - just search for \"VAT\".

Fabrizio Ansevini
Fabrizio Ansevini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
VATless Jan 28, 2007

paolavi wrote:

Dear collegues,

I would like to cooperate with foreign translation agencies in Germany, Switzerland, UK, USA. At the moment, I work only with Italian agencies, I don\'t have the PARTITA IVA (VAT number), I issue invoices for occasional supply of services (20%taxes are paid by the agencies to the Italian Government). I receive net payments and do not need to pay any taxes (agencies do it for me). I would like to know which type of service agreement/contract exists in above countries. Are taxes paid by agencies or by translators? Should I have a VAT registration number?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Paola

Dear Paola, I recently registered myself as a user and I was wondering how to deal with outsourcers who request invoices and VAT numbers. Like many other freelance translators and italian citizens, I'm not VAT registered and I usually get paid for occasional supply of services on the basis of a "fiscal receipt" (Ricevuta Fiscale), which is a net payment (personal taxes are deducted but no VAT is added)
I also presume I'm not allowed to issue real invoices, since I don't have a VAT number, but I learn you did issue invoices...
What would you recommend?
Should I have a VAT registration number, as you wrote back in 2005?
Did you experienced troubles with outsourcers for not having a VAT number?

Thank You in advance,
Best Regards,

Fabrizio Ansevini

paolavi
paolavi
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Invoices/receipt Feb 19, 2007

Actually, I still work with Italian translation agencies only. I have a VAT registration number now because the Italian legislation does not permit to issue fiscal receipts for a total yearly amount over 5.000,-- (?) Euro.

To be sure, ask your advisor.

Best wishes,

Paola

Fabrizio Ansevini
Fabrizio Ansevini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Thanks Apr 9, 2007

I'll follow your recommendation...

Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian translators working with foreign agencies: which kinds of service agreement?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »