Is there a lowest rate acceptable to translate a text or each translator establishes his/her rate?
Thread poster: Flavia Martins dos Santos

Flavia Martins dos Santos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 7, 2006

I would like to know if there is a minimum rate possible to request as payment for a translator qoek because I have faced a situation in which my price was covered by another translator, but this meant half of what I was charging.
What do you think?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-08 12:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
I believe each translator establishes its own rate. Aug 7, 2006

I have a minimum fee for short jobs. It covers the time it takes to receive the document, send the translation, reading, translation, revision, preparation and printing of the invoice, inputing in the accounting system, etc. That is why whether it is one sentence or about 200 words, it will cost the same. If the word count makes the total go over my minimum rate, then I use the per word rate.

All my clients accept this. Though once I had a request from a regular client who sent me a considerable number of words to translate per month, to invoice him on a monthly basis. Thus, if he sent me 10 words on Monday, and 131 words on Thursday, I just added them up to the whole montly total, and charged per word. I accepted because the client was a regular one, and sent a considerable amount of words.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you note. Aug 7, 2006

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Thanks for your reply, it has helped me but sometimes things seems so unfair.

Thanks a lot.
Flávia Tafner

I have a minimum fee for short jobs. It covers the time it takes to receive the document, send the translation, reading, translation, revision, preparation and printing of the invoice, inputing in the accounting system, etc. That is why whether it is one sentence or about 200 words, it will cost the same. If the word count makes the total go over my minimum rate, then I use the per word rate.

All my clients accept this. Though once I had a request from a regular client who sent me a considerable number of words to translate per month, to invoice him on a monthly basis. Thus, if he sent me 10 words on Monday, and 131 words on Thursday, I just added them up to the whole montly total, and charged per word. I accepted because the client was a regular one, and sent a considerable amount of words.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Not at all Aug 7, 2006

Flavia Martins dos Santos wrote:
I would like to know if there is a minimum rate possible to request as payment for a translator qoek because I have faced a situation in which my price was covered by another translator, but this meant half of what I was charging.
What do you think?

You may charge as low as $0.00 per word or even pay for the opportunity to translate something - it is a free market, regulated by demand and supply..

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
antitrust Aug 8, 2006

If multiple translators in the United States were to agree on a minimum rate, they would be considered to be acting in restraint of trade and be subject to prosecution under antitrust laws. This may or may not be the case in the country where you live. I would recommend you consult an attorney or simply set your own rate (acceptable to you) and not worry about other people's rates.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Setting your rate Aug 8, 2006

If you just want to get an idea how much to charge in general, you can take a look at Jobs / Rates or Jobs / Rate Calculator:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_calc

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Anti-trust and restraint of trade Aug 8, 2006

Paul Merriam wrote:

If multiple translators in the United States were to agree on a minimum rate, they would be considered to be acting in restraint of trade and be subject to prosecution under antitrust laws. This may or may not be the case in the country where you live. I would recommend you consult an attorney or simply set your own rate (acceptable to you) and not worry about other people's rates.

The United States law works generally in favour of employers being able to pay the lowest possible rate for the job. This is known as competition and, indeed, when I need to buy goods and services I am also tempted to go for the least expensive. However, it can lead to people not being able to make a living while those that buy their work from them make large profits. Other countries, with different social and political histories do allow workers to protect themselves by setting minimum rates, or even have a statutory minimum wage.

I don't know how this applies to freelance translating, but should be interested if anyone can supply information about the EU and elsewhere.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you note. Aug 8, 2006

Thanks for the attention and the opinion.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

[quote]Harry Bornemann wrote:

If you just want to get an idea how much to charge in general, you can take a look at Jobs / Rates or Jobs / Rate Calculator:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_calc

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view
Thanks for the suggestion

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Thanks for sharing youre experience and your ideas they were very helpful for me.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Paul Merriam wrote:

Thank you for your time and attention

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a lowest rate acceptable to translate a text or each translator establishes his/her rate?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search