Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:17
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 12, 2001

Can somebody i Europe (Alexander?) please tell me how PayPal works for a European?

TIA

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/translator deu/eng/fra/esl>sve

www.MatsWiman.com ProZ mod deu>sve

Träsk 729

S-872 97 Skog

Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia

+46-612-54112

Fax-54182. Via eMail: -54181

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
PayPal Nov 12, 2001

If you go to https://www.paypal.com/, \"signup\" and then \"switch for international accounts\" is explained how it works outside the U.S.A.. It seems not to be valid for all european countries, yet - so you will check first whether it can be used in your country.

Gilda

SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Swedish Visa Nov 12, 2001

I can\'t connect to the service with my Swedish Visa-card.

[addsig]

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Is it a credit card or a debit card? Nov 12, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-12 15:25, Swedish-Tr wrote:

I don\'t know if it makes a difference, but it might..
[addsig]

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
HOW DOES PAY-PAL WORK? Nov 12, 2001

Gilda wrote: If you go to https://www.paypal.com/, \"signup\" and then \"switch for international accounts\" is explained how it works outside the U.S.A..

My problem is that I signed up a long time ago and hoped for a reaction - but NIL.

So I cannot find the page you mention.

How does it work? Does it work?

TIA

Mats J C Wiman
... See more
Gilda wrote: If you go to https://www.paypal.com/, \"signup\" and then \"switch for international accounts\" is explained how it works outside the U.S.A..

My problem is that I signed up a long time ago and hoped for a reaction - but NIL.

TIA

Mats J C Wiman

Träsk 729

S-872 97 Skog

+46-612-54112

Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
does it work? Nov 12, 2001

well, for me it has worked - I have followed the procedure I told you before and there have been no problems at all. Anyway, I am resident in the UK but have a German credit card and bank account - I don\'t know if this can make a difference; as I told you, for what I know PayPal has not been activated yet in all European countries. I don\'t use it very often - only one of my customers asked me to go through PayPal, and I have no problems with him. Anyway I have also heard that many people have ... See more
well, for me it has worked - I have followed the procedure I told you before and there have been no problems at all. Anyway, I am resident in the UK but have a German credit card and bank account - I don\'t know if this can make a difference; as I told you, for what I know PayPal has not been activated yet in all European countries. I don\'t use it very often - only one of my customers asked me to go through PayPal, and I have no problems with him. Anyway I have also heard that many people have got serious problems. I suppose that other systems - if your customers accept them might be as quick and probably safer - such as for example Western Union and so on.

If I can help any further, just let me know.

Gilda
Collapse

Take the "s" out of the http-addres Nov 13, 2001

the correct address would be

http://www.paypal.com

Best regards,

Inge

Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-12 19:36, nina_o wrote:

Quote:

I don\'t know if it makes a difference, but it might..

What?

Nina Engberg
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
credit card or debit card Nov 13, 2001

What I mean is simply that sometimes a credit card is required. I don\'t know if that is true in this case , but I was trying to think of what might have caused your problems.

A debit card is a card where the money will be deducted from your bank account -- with a credit card, well it gets added to your credit and then you pay your bill.

Does anyone know if it matters whether you have a credit card or not? I am in the U.S, and have PayPal connected to my business o
... See more
What I mean is simply that sometimes a credit card is required. I don\'t know if that is true in this case , but I was trying to think of what might have caused your problems.

A debit card is a card where the money will be deducted from your bank account -- with a credit card, well it gets added to your credit and then you pay your bill.

Does anyone know if it matters whether you have a credit card or not? I am in the U.S, and have PayPal connected to my business operating account, so I wouldn\'t know....

I just find it strange that it doesn\'t work for you, Matthias. I have had no problems at all with PayPal.

[/quote]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-13 13:40 ]
Collapse

Nina Engberg
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
Here's a link Nov 13, 2001

Mats,

Try this link: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext

Quote:

On 2001-11-12 23:03, MatsWiman wrote:

Gilda wrote: If you go to https://www.paypal.com/, \"signup\" and then \"switch for international accounts... See more
Mats,

Try this link: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext

Quote:

On 2001-11-12 23:03, MatsWiman wrote:

TIA

Mats J C Wiman

Träsk 729

S-872 97 Skog

+46-612-54112

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Joaquin Moya
Joaquin Moya  Identity Verified
Spain
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Paypal "useless" in both Sweden and Spain Nov 13, 2001

Hi Mats!

Paypal is not \"activated\" in Sweden or Spain. You can though send and receive money in your Paypal-account, but that money can\'t be transfered to an account in our countries. It\'s been like that a long time (at least one year) and it does\'t look like they\'re very interested in expanding the most interesting capability, what you, I think, and me are looking for: being able to get payments to our accounts. At the end of the day you can say that Pay
... See more

Hi Mats!

Paypal is not \"activated\" in Sweden or Spain. You can though send and receive money in your Paypal-account, but that money can\'t be transfered to an account in our countries. It\'s been like that a long time (at least one year) and it does\'t look like they\'re very interested in expanding the most interesting capability, what you, I think, and me are looking for: being able to get payments to our accounts. At the end of the day you can say that Paypal is still \"useless\" in our countries. I\'ve given up Paypal by now but, let\'s wait and see, maybe they include our countries soon.
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Still: How does it actually work?Thanks everybo Nov 14, 2001

What do I tell a US customer to do?

How do I know that he has paid?

If I want to buy something how do I use PayPal to do it?

From the answers it seems as if I can ony spend my balance in the US. Correct?

If my balance is to small for a purchas, how to a fill up my PayPal account?

TIA

Mats

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Still: How does it actually work?Thanks everybo Nov 14, 2001

What do I tell a US customer to do?

How do I know that he has paid?

If I want to buy something how do I use PayPal to do it?

From the answers it seems as if I can ony spend my balance in the US. Correct?

If my balance is to small for a purchas, how to a fill up my PayPal account?

TIA

Mats

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
How it works Nov 19, 2001

I\'ve used it a couple of times.

1 - BEING PAID :

Those who want to pay you through the system have to join up first. This may take a bit of time, all depends on your country. You get a code on your card statement/bank statement confirming that your a/c has been recognised and which permits you to activate your Paypal account. (This stage took ages to be processed for me. After four attempts, I contacted Paypal and had to do the whole thing by fax, sending a photo
... See more
I\'ve used it a couple of times.

1 - BEING PAID :

Those who want to pay you through the system have to join up first. This may take a bit of time, all depends on your country. You get a code on your card statement/bank statement confirming that your a/c has been recognised and which permits you to activate your Paypal account. (This stage took ages to be processed for me. After four attempts, I contacted Paypal and had to do the whole thing by fax, sending a photocopy of my card and ID. So much for security!) Still, I\'ve had no probs being paid nor paying through the system, once it all got activated. I\'m in France with a French account linked to the system.

2 - PAYING OTHERS :

As the Paypal a/c is linked to your bank a/c you have to put money into the Paypal pot to be able to pay from that pot. This means charging your Paypal a/c from your bank a/c, a bit like charging a battery before being able to use it.

3 - SPENDING DIRECTLY FOMR YOUR PAYPAL A/C :

Apart from the small handling charge, which really is small, the only way you can \"spend\" from you Paypal a/c is with those companies with whom Paypal has a partnership deal of some sort. Otherwise, you have transfer the moeny over to your bank account.

4 - GETTING AT YOUR MONEY ON YOUR PAYPAL A/C :

This is the reverse of 2 above. You can withdraw money from your Paypal account by trasferring it down to your bank a/c.

I\'ve done it a couple of times and it has worked. No hitches, no bugs, just a bit of time to get the whole thing off the ground.

I did read something scary about Paypal security though on one of the lists of the forums here - sniff around for it. It was interesting, even a little worrying!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
How Paypal works - part 2 Nov 20, 2001

If anyone finds my previous writings on this matter useful, then feel free to refer other people to the posting. Never the less, do not take what I have written as gospel - I was writing from memory and practical experience. The best thing to do, of course, is to go to the PayPal site and plough through the info they provide. Information changes all the time and in order to be up to date, the only way is to consult official sources. They are in the best position to know how to explain what is re... See more
If anyone finds my previous writings on this matter useful, then feel free to refer other people to the posting. Never the less, do not take what I have written as gospel - I was writing from memory and practical experience. The best thing to do, of course, is to go to the PayPal site and plough through the info they provide. Information changes all the time and in order to be up to date, the only way is to consult official sources. They are in the best position to know how to explain what is required. Things differ from one country to another, and PayPal is not the only outfit on the market offering this type of service. I cannot name others, but I have heard about them.

I do not want anyone making my postings into a sort of \"formal\" document for general dsitribution. If I decide to hold myself out as something of an authority on any matter, then I can take care of putting a text together in the shape and form I would wish it to be presented and determine any target audiences on my own. Also out of context, I suppose there\'s always the risk that the information may not always make sense. Cheers to all.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-20 01:58 ]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HOW DOES PAY-PAL WORK?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »