Recommend buying TO 3000 version 8 for a first time user?
Thread poster: Aysegül Acar-Dreyer

Aysegül Acar-Dreyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Turkish to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2006

by mistake i posted this in the polls.

In light of postings from TO 3000 vers. 7 users who have not been happy with vers. 8, would you recommend vers. 8 to someone who does not have vers. 7, i.e. who doesn't know what she may be missing ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:15
Spanish
+ ...
My advice Aug 17, 2006

Hello Aysegül,

I've been using TO 3000 v.7 for months now and I definitely recommend it, I couldn't work without it now. Since I bought it this year, the upgrade for me was free. After trying v.8 for probably a week, I decided not to upgrade. The main reason for me--and other colleagues I believe: the way v.8 handles the folders. The whole folder structure changed from v.7 to v.8. There are other changes that don't bother me at all, but other colleagues aren't very happy, check this thread:

Version 7 is client-based. It automatically creates new folders based on clients, eg: Client Code/[Job Number] [Job Name]/01 Original,02 Edited, 03 Work, etc. (this is customizable). In addition, Payments, Invoices, Jobs are also kept in the client main folder.

Version 8 is project-based. 2 folders are created: Projects and Clients. The administrative documentation like invoices, payments, etc is kept in the Client folder, eg: Clients/[Client Code]/Invoices,Payments,etc. The Projects folder contains ALL projects in the ordered they were created ([Job Number] [Job Name]/01 Original,02 Edited, 03 Work, etc.), which I personally don't like.

I like to have one separate folder for each one of my clients, that's how I've been working for years. Having all my projects in just one folder seems a terrible idea to me, it's just too messy.

The problem is that, AFAIK, there is no efficient way to import all the data from v.7 to v.8 because the new folder structure is completely different. So I will keep v.7 and wait for an update of v.8 that will change the way project folders are created. (Does any colleague know if there are plans to do this?)

That is why I don't like TO 3000 v8. Now, I don't know know how you organize your files but since you won't have the hassle of importing your files from one version to another, you may even prefer v8. My advice to you is to try out both versions. Set aside a few hours to read the manuals and carefully try out v.7 and v.8 and see which one you like better. But keep in mind that it's very unilkely that v.7 is ever gonna gonna have future updates.

Good luck,

Cali

[Edited at 2006-08-17 01:20]

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:15
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
New user perspective Aug 17, 2006

Hi Aysegül,

Here's my perspective as a new user who never had v.7.

Ever since I purchased TO3000, my administration hassle have gone down to the bare minimum, and I have become used to recording project and client information as I receive it.

Before I had it, I was simply reluctant to go into the unorganized Excel table that I improvized, then to the excel invoice creation area, etc. The result was that all had to be done hastily and in an irritating manner by the end of each month...

Administration, which as a freelance you can't avoid, was made much easier, even user-friendly.

As I didn't have v.7 before, the folder system seemed OK to me, and I even renamed my project folders to suit my preferences -- that's easy, as long as you do it BEFORE adding new clients.

The only thing I don't like about the folders is how they have to be named with the (meaningless for me) project code first -- I'd rather one was being able to name them by client name/code, for sorting purposes in Windows Explorer. That's what Claudia also refers to, I believe.

In short, highly recommended for new freelancers!

Doron

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:15
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my two cents Aug 17, 2006

AFAIK, there is no efficient way to import all the data from v.7 to v.8

Not correct: there's a porting tool available,so moving - if one feels like it - should be no problem. Check their site: I used it and survived the move.

In any case - to come to the question at the start of the thread - version 7, version 8, whatever: I think this piece of software is something as essential as Word. And it is (very) reasonably priced.

Re projects and clients and stuff in 8: i have now clients X, Y, Z ... with projects X aug 06, Y aug 06 ... and within this X aug 06 there's jobs from X, being done in aug then etc.

So, yes, if #7 gets under your skin, #8 will feel strange. But believe me, it does make sense: there's additional layer between clients and jobs and that's projects. What wrong with thinking big;)?

smo

[Edited at 2006-08-17 09:34]

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:15
English to French
+ ...
A useful tool Aug 17, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

So, yes, if #7 gets under your skin, #8 will feel strange. But believe me, it does make sense: there's additional layer between clients and jobs and that's projects. What wrong with thinking big;)?

That's precisely why I didn't upgrade from version 7 to 8 - the additional layer doesn't fit in my current organisation (one job = one code) and would mean twice more work - nonsense in a tool that's designed to reduce administrative work, not increase it...

Maybe I'll reconsider for next year since it'll be easier for me to adapt this way of managing projects, although I like my system - I'm used to it!

For a first time user, I'd sure recommend the tool because once you've set up your customers' data and your invoice templates, it's really useful. Anyway, you can try the software for 30 days before deciding if it's worth buying it so don't hesitate, have a look at it.

BR
Marie-Céline

Aysegül Acar-Dreyer  Identity Verified
United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TO 3000 advice Aug 17, 2006

Muchas Gracias, Todah Rabah, Viel Dank, Merci Beaucoup, Thank You to all for your thoughts.

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:15
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
free trial version Aug 18, 2006

I am in exactly the same position, so i'm reading this with interest and thanks!

Yesterday I downloaded the 30 day free trial of v.8, and so far so good. It took me a while to orientate myself (never one for reading the manual first!), but now i'm getting the hang of it and I am liking it already.

When you download it you get the option of choosing one with information already in the database, or a totally empty version. I chose the populated one, but wish I hadn't, as although It was useful for a few minutes in order to get the idea of the structure and relationship between the sections, i then had to delete all of the information it contained because, of course, none of it applied to me and it just looked messy.

I am going to try it out for the 30 days therefore, but I already think, based on my experience yesterday and the comments here, that its an investment worth making.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Aug 18, 2006

[Edited at 2006-08-18 15:50]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
The problem was switching from one to the other Aug 18, 2006

I think that, for someone who has never used TO before, it is worth it to get the latest version. It is the same old excellent program, they just radically changed the file structure, and for those who had older versions, this was a pain in the butt because they had to learn the software anew. But this doesn't apply to new users.

Don't let this negative opinion fool you into not trying out what, in my opinion, is the best freelancer paperwork management system on the market. The problem for existing users is not the software itself - they seem to love it - but rather having to get used to this major change, a change new users will not have to deal with.

Buy it, you will not regret it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend buying TO 3000 version 8 for a first time user?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search