Grant Proposal Budget Eng/Spa to French/Arabic
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

A friend is writing a grant proposal and in the budget she needs to include a line item for translating the research survey questionnaire, written partly in English and partly in Spanish, into French and into Arabic.

She asked me what per-word rates she should use, and I thought I could look it up, but I see that I can only do that for my language pair.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure, or should I post this as a potential job? (That doesn't seem fair, since the project doesn't even have the funding yet).

THANKS!

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Another translation site Aug 29, 2006

Another big translation site has rate statistics and charts for different language combinations. It smells like coffee!

[Edited at 2006-08-29 21:04]

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 23:10
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
French into Arabic Aug 30, 2006

is usually in between $0.05 and $0.12 ... she may go for $0.8 as an average. But I don't really know about other pairs

Good Luck
Dina

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Patricia Aug 30, 2006

You should point out that it will depend on the degree of quality assurance she wants. Questionnaires must be accurate, for starters, and it would help if she had at least two opinions to consult for each combination. She should decide whether she wants proofing, styling or back-translation to check this aspect.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone! Aug 30, 2006

Thank you Luisa, Dina, and Parrot! My friend, of course, wants the highest quality control. It is so helpful to have Parrot's suggestions about what that means specifically for a field questionnaire. (Let's hope that the funding source respects translators and funds this project!)

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
styling? Aug 30, 2006

Actually, one question for Parrot: I know what proofing and back translating would involve, but what, in the context of the survey questionnaire, is "styling"?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grant Proposal Budget Eng/Spa to French/Arabic

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search