Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:47
Vietnamese
+ ...
Sep 25, 2006

Hi All,

I am a newbie here. Sorry if I waste your time.

Can someone sumarize the charge, advantage, disadvatage, etc of each method of payment?

Thank you very much.

PS: I am in VietNam and Paypal do not allow to register from VietNam. How to do???

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:47
Turkish to English
+ ...
Western Union is very fast, but ... Sep 25, 2006

Western Union provides a very reliable and fast service: I think you can collect your money from any outlet 15 minutes after it has been paid in. One thing to watch out for is that they apply an unfavourable exchange rate (i.e. unfavourable to you, favourable to them) which functions as a kind of hidden charge, thus making the process more expensive than it appears at first glance.

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Your situation is the same as mine Sep 25, 2006

There is no PayPal in Indonesia either. I usually ask my clients to pay me through bank transfer or Western Union. But, you can also open a Moneybookers account as substitute for PayPal. Unlike PayPal, it is available to freelancers all over the world.
Bank transfer takes about three working days, WU takes only a few hours, and MB takes just a few seconds. So far, I have no problem with each of them.

[Edited at 2006-09-25 11:04]

Pham Hoa Hiep
Pham Hoa Hiep  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Money matters Sep 26, 2006

Dear Phong
I am in Vietnam too. The problem with Western Union is that they charge a lot for the transfer fee ( 15 USD for every 100 $ to Vietnam). The same problem goes with bank tranfer. Many outsourcers are not willing to pay for these high fees, so the translator has to bear the transfer fees if he/she requests these payment methods. Two weeks ago, we arranged a bank transfer from Hong Kong to Vietnam. The bank in Hong Kong charged 30 USD and the local bank in Vietnam 15 USD USD . So I
... See more
Dear Phong
I am in Vietnam too. The problem with Western Union is that they charge a lot for the transfer fee ( 15 USD for every 100 $ to Vietnam). The same problem goes with bank tranfer. Many outsourcers are not willing to pay for these high fees, so the translator has to bear the transfer fees if he/she requests these payment methods. Two weeks ago, we arranged a bank transfer from Hong Kong to Vietnam. The bank in Hong Kong charged 30 USD and the local bank in Vietnam 15 USD USD . So I lost 45 USD! I feel bad about it. I think the best way is to use Xoom services (https://www.xoom.com) (PayPal related services) you can get the money from any Sacombank in Vietnam.

[Edited at 2006-09-26 06:57]

[Edited at 2006-09-26 07:00]

[Edited at 2006-09-26 07:02]
Collapse

Mohamed Mahmoud
Mohamed Mahmoud
Local time: 07:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
How can you open a Moneybookers account? Oct 20, 2006

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

There is no PayPal in Indonesia either. I usually ask my clients to pay me through bank transfer or Western Union. But, you can also open a Moneybookers account as substitute for PayPal. Unlike PayPal, it is available to freelancers all over the world.
Bank transfer takes about three working days, WU takes only a few hours, and MB takes just a few seconds. So far, I have no problem with each of them.

[Edited at 2006-09-25 11:04]

Dear Hipyan,
This is Mohamed, an Arabic freelancer from Egypt. There is no PayPal in Egypt also. So, I have to search for alternatives. I read your answer and I appreciate very much if you can help me to know how can I open a Moneybookers account?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mohamed

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HOW TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT AT MONEYBOOKERS Oct 22, 2006

It is very easy, just like to open an account at hotmail or yahoo.

You go to the webpage
https://www.moneybookers.com/app/register.pl

If you know how to register an email account at hotmail or yahoo then this is also a cake.

Any problem, please continue to write down.

haizamk
haizamk
English to Malay
try this e-payment site Sep 21, 2007

ialready use this site services over 6 month. and the services very fast!

more info: http://www.realpayplus.com

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it popular? Sep 25, 2007

Hi All,

Anyone else experienced with this web service? please could you share.

http://www.realpayplus.com

I am ok with small amount service, say less than USD 5,000 at moneybookers or the like, but if it is above USD 10,000 is there any risk?

L. Phong

Binod Ringania
Binod Ringania  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:17
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Available in India Sep 25, 2007

Hi,

This is Binod Ringania, translating Engling to Hindi and English to Assamese.

I have seen postings about Moneybooker and Realpayplus. In India PayPal is not available. Can anybody tell me whether Moneybooker and Realpayplus are available in India or not. And what are the charges with these services.
Binod Ringania

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
India Sep 26, 2007

Hi Binod,

Sure you can do with Moneybooker from India.

http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees

Pls surf arround that page and/or try to register and see how it works.

L. Phong

[Edited at 2007-09-26 05:48]

Binod Ringania
Binod Ringania  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:17
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
India Sep 27, 2007

Thank you, Phong Le

[Edited at 2007-09-27 06:45]

Tiến Anh Lê
Tiến Anh Lê  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Sometimes Xoom transactions are canceled when money is on the way Jan 6, 2008

I am now in Vietnam. I am asking my clients to send money from their Paypal account to me via Xoom.com. Once, I had an Australian client, everything went on smoothly until the money was canceled without any proper reason (Xoom said that it violated the Xoom's ToS, however, they were failed to point out exactly what it is).
Now I don't know if I could receive money from other Paypal accounts from other countries (say Israel, India...). Can they send money to me by Xoom from their Paypal ac
... See more
I am now in Vietnam. I am asking my clients to send money from their Paypal account to me via Xoom.com. Once, I had an Australian client, everything went on smoothly until the money was canceled without any proper reason (Xoom said that it violated the Xoom's ToS, however, they were failed to point out exactly what it is).
Now I don't know if I could receive money from other Paypal accounts from other countries (say Israel, India...). Can they send money to me by Xoom from their Paypal account? Anyone has real experience on this issue?
One more thing, If I have an unverified Paypal account (which was registered from Viet Nam), can I receive money from other Paypal accounts? What should I do to get it verified? (Vietnamese freelancers' experience needed).
If Paypal and Xoom cannot work for Vietnam, what is your suggestion?
Thank you in advance.
Smiles
P.S: Recently, I have registered for a Moneybookers account but I am not sure if it works for Viet Nam (real experience needed).

[Edited at 2008-01-06 03:53]

[Edited at 2008-01-06 03:56]

[Edited at 2008-01-06 03:57]
Collapse

Phong Le
Vietnam
Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Smiles Jan 7, 2008

Hi Smiles,

I hope you do not loose the money there.

Moneybookers are working well in Vietnam. Our community have real money transfer with Moneybookers.

Which city are you in VN now? if in HCMC, we can meet sometimes.

Phong.

Tiến Anh Lê
Vietnam
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Our problem Jan 16, 2008

Hi Phong Le,

Our problem in Viet Nam is that we cannot use Paypal very effectively (have to suffer from Xoom high fee). And not many of our clients are happy with using Moneybookers which only charges us around 3USD to withdraw money to our bank account. Sometimes I accept payment via Paypal but don't know how to transfer it to Moneybookers for a lower withdrawing fee. And I am confusing. Do you have any suggestion?

I am now in Ha Noi, but I would love to have some coll
... See more
Hi Phong Le,

Our problem in Viet Nam is that we cannot use Paypal very effectively (have to suffer from Xoom high fee). And not many of our clients are happy with using Moneybookers which only charges us around 3USD to withdraw money to our bank account. Sometimes I accept payment via Paypal but don't know how to transfer it to Moneybookers for a lower withdrawing fee. And I am confusing. Do you have any suggestion?

I am now in Ha Noi, but I would love to have some collaboration with you in the future.
Smiles

[Edited at 2008-01-16 04:52]
Collapse

Tiến Anh Lê
Vietnam
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Paypal, Moneybookers, and Bank accounts teamworking Jan 19, 2008

Today I will introduce you a somehow tricky but very useful and cheap method to transfer money between Vietnam and another country.

In my case in Japan, I am having 3 main choices to send and receive money from a foreign country and Viet Nam:

1. Use T/T or Bank transfer: Usually I have to suffer about 3000-5000Yen (30-50$), around 3-5 working days.
2. Use Postal service: around 5000 Yen (50$) too, around 1-3 weeks.
3. Western Union (I cannot imagine the fee)
... See more
Today I will introduce you a somehow tricky but very useful and cheap method to transfer money between Vietnam and another country.

In my case in Japan, I am having 3 main choices to send and receive money from a foreign country and Viet Nam:

1. Use T/T or Bank transfer: Usually I have to suffer about 3000-5000Yen (30-50$), around 3-5 working days.
2. Use Postal service: around 5000 Yen (50$) too, around 1-3 weeks.
3. Western Union (I cannot imagine the fee).

Too much of these transfers will kill you.

Well, now you need another method. Let make it step by step :

1. Create a personal Paypal account (@ paypal.com). Remember to register with your foreign address. (You need a Personal paypal account so that you don't have to suffer from a receiving fee like Premier/Business account). You will have a withdrawing limit of around 500$/month. Call it PP1.

2. Register your Paypal account with your foreign bank account (call it B1) for the purpose of withdrawing and funding.
In many countries, people can easily withdraw money from their paypal account to their local bank. But in Vietnam, we can only fund our paypal account with our bank account(or with our debit/credit card) but not vise versa. Sometimes, our clients only accept payment via Paypal, and so we have some money to send back home from our Paypal account but many people are confusing how to make it. People usually use Xoom.com as an alternative method to send money from their Paypal account to Viet Nam but it costs almost the same fee with bank transfer (around 30$ for 400$). And that's where the tragedy begins. You need another online tools to make it better. And there Moneybookers comes. With Moneybookers, you can both fund and withdraw money with a bank account in Viet Nam. No I am not marketing for any of them.

3. Create a MoneyBookers account (@ moneybookers.com). This account should be registered with your foreign bank (the bank should be the same with which you have registered to your Paypal account, B1,to avoid inter-banks transferring fee) and address. Call it MB1.

4. Create another MoneyBookers account. This account should be registered with your bank and address in Viet Nam. Call it B2. You should register for a bank account in Viet Nam accepting foreign currency (like Vietcombank) so that you can receive $ or €. Call it MB2.

Ok, that's enough for the technical work. Now let's see how the cash flows:

Case 1: From a country to Vietnam, use Moneybookers:
- Upload fund from B1 to MB1 (free).
- Transfer money from MB1 to MB2 (free).
- Withdraw money from MB2 to B2 (1.8€).
- Total fee: 1.8€ (let compare it with 30-50$ international bank transfer fee).

Case 2: Fom Vietnam to a country, also use Moneybookers:
- Upload fund from B2 to MB2 (free).
- Transfer money from MB2 to MB1 (1%,up to 0.5€,/transaction).
- Withdraw money from MB1 to B1 (1.8€).
- Total fee: 1.8€ +0.5€(let compare it with 30-50$ international bank transfer fee).

Case 3: From a Paypal account to B1:
- Withdraw fee is around 2.5$.

Case 4: From a Paypal account to B2:
- Withdraw money from PP1 to B1 (2.5$).
- Upload money from B1 to MB1 (free).
- Send money from MB1 to MB2 (free).
- Withdraw money from MB2 to B2 (1.8€).
- Total fee: 2.5$+1.8€ +0.5€(use XE to calculate exactly).

PP1, MB1, MB2 have sending and receiving limits. However, you can lift them up by verifying your credit/debit card, your bank account, your address or your mobile number.

And in the worst case, it costs you approximately 1 week for everything.

See. Life is getting easier.

(You can refer to my blog for more information at: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-9REHPto9frKKzIC1Yr0DaPE-?cq=1&p=741)

[Edited at 2008-01-19 07:12]

[Edited at 2008-01-19 07:15]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal or Bank transfer or Western Union

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »