https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/56328-pricing_translation_of_ppt_files.html

pricing translation of ppt files
Thread poster: brigidm
brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:33
Norwegian to English
Sep 28, 2006

How do you price for translating ppt files? I usually price based on word count - I know that others price by page/hour etc. So far I have charged for my normal rate per word, plus 30% for formatting work. The agency I quoted for were happy with this, though they informed me that this varied, some freelancers charged an hourly rate because of the formatting work that might be involved. Would appreciate any input.

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:33
English to Greek
+ ...
On word count Sep 28, 2006

However, I also inform the client that if formatting is required after I have completed the translation (always with Tag Editor), that they will be charged xx amount for each slide needing formatting.

They usually accept it and consider it fair. Otherwise, they ask me to send the file "as is" and they do their own formatting (very seldom).

Hope this helps,
Nadia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your method sounds good Sep 28, 2006

Brigid McCauley wrote:
How do you price for translating ppt files? So far I have charged for my normal rate per word, plus 30% for formatting work.

That sounds good, yes. It depends a bit on whether your CAT tool can handle PPT files well or not.

brigidm
brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I do use Wordfast Sep 28, 2006

... and it works fine. But I still have to go through and adjust font sizes to make the text fit the pages etc.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Flemish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate + word-count Sep 28, 2006

Reason :
Time-consuming =hourly-rate.
+the number of words translated.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
well, words can be different kinds Sep 28, 2006

I usually price based on word count
If the text can be in the PPT outline. Or it can be sprikled accross different text boxes and other paraphernalia.,

Just the word count does not do it justice. Even with CAT tools you may eventually have to hound some little text snippets around... So depending on the PPT complexity you may eventually opt for hours.

Which brings up the same question in a different way: instead of "how much per word" the question is then "how much per slide".

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing translation of ppt files

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »