No payment after having submitted translation
Thread poster: Maria Alevizaki

Maria Alevizaki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 5, 2006

What can I do if an agency doesn't pay me after I have submitted my translation?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-10-05 08:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:11
need more info... Oct 5, 2006

You don't say if they got your invoice or if the credit terms have expired etc... what happened exactly?

Germany
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No payment after having submitted translation Oct 5, 2006

I completed the translation, they send it back to me to edit it because it had some mistakes, I corrected it and since then I haven't heard anything from them, they don't answer to my mails.

xxxmervyn
Spanish to English
+ ...
No payment after translation Oct 5, 2006

Hello,

Perhaps you've already done all this, but it is imperative to get the date of payment straight along with the date of delivery, before you do the job. There is no reason why one should be more important than the other. Any job is a two-party agreement.

I usually tell any new or sporadic customers that the job will be delivered on such and such a day at price x, payment will be by bank transfer at 30 calendar days, and ask them politely to confirm this specifically by return email. This gives them less of a leg to stand on if they delay later.

If you've agreed all this and the problem is that they just won't pay, that's not my experience, and others will know what measures to take.

Bye,

Mervyn

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Some more crucial questions - more info needed Oct 5, 2006

Dear Maria,

As Orla pointed out already, there are still some open questions in your case, even after your second posting:

- Did you send an invoice to the outsourcer?
- Did the outsourcer confirm receipt of your invoice?
- What was the agreed payment term (e.g. invoice payable upon receipt, within two of four weeks after receipt...)?

Steffen

[Edited at 2006-10-05 10:05]

Germany
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

I have send my bank account after they have asked me to, but we didn't talk about the day of the payment.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
one more possible open question in your case Oct 5, 2006

I'd add one more point to what Steffen has listed:

1.) do you have a purchase order from them?

If not this time, than think of it the next time. It always makes sense to have it on paper, what the other side wants, with the name of the company issuing it, the person responsible, your name in full, the service you are supposed to be render, the price, conditions etc.

My experience is that a missing PO is such a handy source of excuses to delay payments or not pay at all. In hind mirror I see the money I lost on this kind of cases as an education fee: since I got burned (slightly, a whiff of chicken feather smell in the air...) a few times, no more business without a PO for me.

Regards

[Edited at 2006-10-05 10:27]

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Depends - How long have you been waiting? Oct 5, 2006

Maria Alevizaki wrote:

I have send my bank account after they have asked me to, but we didn't talk about the day of the payment.

Waiting about a month or even two for payment is quite normal, so if you delivered your translation yesterday and still haven't received payment, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If, however, you delivered your translation a long time ago, it might be worth answering a few of those questions asked by Orla, Steffen and Vitomir above. I'm sure they could give you very good advice (but only if they know what the situation is).

I hope you're problem can be solved and you'll see your money in the end.

Thomas

[Edited at 2006-10-05 11:28]

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:11
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Did you send an invoice? Oct 5, 2006

Please disregard this posting if you did, but I seem to read from your reply that you sent them you banking details.

I did not read that you sent them an invoice.

If not, please do so at this time and again include the banking details that you already submitted. A lot of agencies have a seperate person handling payments who may or may not have the banking details.

In the invoice you might want to include the following:
- Name of the job (file name is always helpful) and language combination
- Number of words and rate per source/target word.
- Date delivered, specific delvery instructions followed - if you need to charge extra for that. And the expenses that were involved.
- Payment terms, such as net 30 days

I also mention the contact person - that is the person who gave you the job. If someone else is handling billing that might help them get through it quicker.

Well that is about what I can think at the moment. How long ago did you deliver the job? A lot of agencies only pay after 45 or 60 days, so unless you have clearly stated your payment terms, you might have to wait that long. I hope not.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Germany
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

You are right, I haven't send them an invoice, I will do so now. The translation is very recent, my problem is that I haven't received an answer since I submitted it, let's hope that everything will be allright. Thank you very much for your advices, they will be very helpful for me in the future.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
English to Russian
+ ...
it's normal practice Oct 5, 2006

to send an invoice.
Moreover, in some countries customer is not allowed to pay you (abroad) if no invoice has been submitted.

And from my business experience it is also normal practice - no invoice - no payment.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
German to English
Get in touch with a local colleague Oct 5, 2006

It appears that you need to speak to someone familiar with billing practices in Greece.
Some countries permit invoices to be sent via e-mail, others require signed printed copies. The format of the invoice varies from country to country as well. Some require an invoice number, tax number, etc. , some don't.

Is there a Greek forum on Proz? If so, I might suggest putting a query there.

Crotext - Laca
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Internal invoice Oct 6, 2006

I sent invoice through internal system - directly through the web page of the customer.
Does anyone has similar experience?
They say that bank needs 2-3 weeks to proceed their request for payment?

Thanks

Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:11
Danish to English
+ ...
Before you send the invoice Oct 6, 2006

Make sure you include clear payment terms on the bottom of your invoice

e.g. Payment expected within 30 days

Also include your business/address and payment/account details clearly

Invoice number, date, their company address and description (helps when you have to do your taxes next year and you have forgotten everything about the job)

Microsoft word, paypal and other programs have some standard invoices, which guide you how to include all these details including payments terms at the bottom.

If they don't pay after e.g. 30 days send a friendly reminder

If they don't pay after more days then it's up to you what to do.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
internal systems Oct 6, 2006

Milva & Mario Katalinić wrote:

I sent invoice through internal system - directly through the web page of the customer.
Does anyone has similar experience?
They say that bank needs 2-3 weeks to proceed their request for payment?

Thanks

One of my regular clients has a similar system. I upload my invoice via their website, type in the project names and invoice file name, press upload and voila. And I get paid on time, which means a very happy Orla.
2-3 weeks isn't bad if normal billing terms are 30 days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No payment after having submitted translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search