Thread poster: Robert Pranagal
Robert Pranagal
Robert Pranagal
Local time: 07:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 18, 2001

ProZ is one great family, right?

Not really. Some of the agencies that are ProZ members don\'t pay translators either...

No comment...

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes! Nov 19, 2001

Dear Robert,

Right you are!

[...] I suggest that you and I start by exchanging names of offenders!

Sven.

P.S.

Let it be known that somebody, possibly at ProZ, has edited my response (replaced text by \"[...]\") anonymously. I believe in FREE SPEECH and will refrain from contributing to this CENSORED forum.

Sven.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001
... See more
Dear Robert,

Right you are!

[...] I suggest that you and I start by exchanging names of offenders!

Sven.

P.S.

Let it be known that somebody, possibly at ProZ, has edited my response (replaced text by \"[...]\") anonymously. I believe in FREE SPEECH and will refrain from contributing to this CENSORED forum.

Sven.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-19 06:06 ]
Collapse

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
That's good to know Nov 19, 2001

Wouldn\'t it be helpful for all of us to know who the \"offenders\" are?

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes but you have to do it in private! Nov 19, 2001

not to put ProZ in any lsander danger.

Robert Pranagal
Robert Pranagal
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
in private Nov 19, 2001

Mats is absolutely right. I think that we must exchange this information in private.

We could for example have a separate sub-forum where translators could post queries about particular agencies.

There would be no possibility of posting answers, but we could help each other in private by sending direct email to the asker, describing our experiences with the agency in question, be they good or bad.

This would also put some more press
... See more
Mats is absolutely right. I think that we must exchange this information in private.

We could for example have a separate sub-forum where translators could post queries about particular agencies.

There would be no possibility of posting answers, but we could help each other in private by sending direct email to the asker, describing our experiences with the agency in question, be they good or bad.

This would also put some more pressure on the agencies to motivate them to respect translator a little bit more.

Cheers

Collapse

Kate Persson
Kate Persson
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Bad payers Nov 19, 2001

Hi everybody

I would very much like this information too.

Please let me know by e-mail.

[email protected]

Best regards

Kate

Robert Pranagal
Robert Pranagal
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's do it ourselves! Nov 19, 2001

There has been a strong movement recently to form a black-list of agencies on ProZ com.

Although I share the opinion that something should be done about bad practices against the translators, I also think that there are numerous reasons why putting together of such public list is not a good idea.

I suggest, that for the time being, we shall utilise the resources that are already available to us.

We could use this particular forum (
... See more
There has been a strong movement recently to form a black-list of agencies on ProZ com.

Although I share the opinion that something should be done about bad practices against the translators, I also think that there are numerous reasons why putting together of such public list is not a good idea.

I suggest, that for the time being, we shall utilise the resources that are already available to us.

We could use this particular forum (Money Matters) for posting our inquiries about a particular agency, and people could help by direct feedback via email.

What do you think?

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 01:07
German to English
+ ...
I agree with Robert Nov 19, 2001

I think we have all the tools we need. We have this forum (as well as several other mailing lists, etc.), and we can use it as suggested by Robert: post queries here - get your answers by e-mail.

I also agree that we should share such sensitive information privately so as not to expose ProZ to liability issues. Of course, the best defence against slander is truth, but why invite trouble, eh?

Andrei Albu
Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 08:07
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Translator Client Review Nov 20, 2001

Without of course turning down the possibility of having exchanges about this subject on ProZ, may I suggest you join an excellent group on Yahoo, entitled TCR (Translator Client Review). It has very strict rules against libelling, and I find it as a very trustworthy forum.

You can review it by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TCR.

Hope this helps.

Helle Kaiser-Nielsen
Helle Kaiser-Nielsen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:07
English to Danish
+ ...
Agreeing with Kate Nov 20, 2001

Hi everybody

If you start any kind of sub-forum re. bad payers etc. I\'d be grateful to be included on email as well.

[email protected]

Best regards

Helle

[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Ask questions Nov 20, 2001

One should never jump to conclusions when it comes to agency complaints.

We often gets emails complaining about bad payers. It is an unfortunate fact that many of these complaints do not stand up to scrutiny.

When someone warns you to stay away from a certain agency, ask them the following questions:

- Did you work for them personally?

If payment was late, ask:

- How late was the payment? Was it made in full?
... See more
One should never jump to conclusions when it comes to agency complaints.

We often gets emails complaining about bad payers. It is an unfortunate fact that many of these complaints do not stand up to scrutiny.

When someone warns you to stay away from a certain agency, ask them the following questions:

- Did you work for them personally?

If payment was late, ask:

- How late was the payment? Was it made in full?

If payment never came, ask:

- And you reminded them? What was the reaction?

Finally, confirm that the complainer lived up to his/her end of the bargain: \"and you delivered on time, of course?\"

Asking these questions will give you a clearer picture of the trustworthiness of an agency.

There are fraudulent agencies out there. There are also people with axes to grind. If you take proper precautions, you won\'t get fooled by either.

And by all means, do not contribute to the problem by passing on others\' complaints as though they are your own. Make clear when you are talking about what you heard, vs. what you experienced. And if an agency does not pay much, don\'t say they are a \'bad payer\', or otherwise insinuate ill intent. Say they \'do not pay very much.\' There is an enormous difference.
Collapse

hph
hph
German to Italian
+ ...
proper precautions?? Nov 20, 2001

\"If you take proper precautions, you won\'t get fooled by either.\"

Could anybody help me explaining what this means?

I am a beginner in the online-activity; in practice all I can rely on are my language

abilities and a solid knowledge in a few specific fields (for a specialized translation

activity) as well as long computer experience.

My mayor problem by now is: How can I evaluate an offer? Is there a sort of guarante
... See more
\"If you take proper precautions, you won\'t get fooled by either.\"

Could anybody help me explaining what this means?

I am a beginner in the online-activity; in practice all I can rely on are my language

abilities and a solid knowledge in a few specific fields (for a specialized translation

activity) as well as long computer experience.

My mayor problem by now is: How can I evaluate an offer? Is there a sort of guarantee to

be payed?

I have heard there are agencies who are specialized in getting free translations from

newcomers and not very experienced translators (not experienced in this regard, I mean)

Is it like that, has it to be like this (\"learning by not being payed\"?) or are these

fears without reason?

Thanks for any answer on this forum or on my private E-mail ([email protected])!

Helga

Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

ProZ' own Billing Tips (advice on business practices) Nov 28, 2001

ProZ already has the information you need here, titled \"Billing tips A collection of common sense business practices\"

http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/index&eid_c=761&ssp=policies&sssp=pbp

Troy Fowler, Dyran Altenburg and I labored over this text, so we\'d really be glad to know it\'s getting used!
[addsig]

hph
hph
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank you! Dec 10, 2001

I have found really useful items in your site and in many ProZ-Forum-postings. It helps to see the most important things one has to pay attention to! Thank you

Helga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ members are bad payers too.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »