Freelancing and Taxing in EU (Netherlands)
Thread poster: _TILLI

Local time: 09:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2006

My family moves to the Netherlands and I'm planning to continue my freelancing there. BUT: what's is peculiar about freelance translating in EU? what migration status is required for that? do freelancers pay taxes? thanx!

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Do freelancers pay taxes? Oct 16, 2006

Er, I am afraid so...

While waiting for a reply from our colleagues in the Netherlands, have a look at this:

All the best

Direct link Reply with quote

avantix  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
German to Dutch
+ ...
The basics Oct 16, 2006

Hi Tilli,

First of all: like anyone who has an income, you'll have to pay income tax.

If you want to get established as a free-lance translator in the Netherlands, there are a only a few basic things you have to do:

1. Register with the Chamber of Commerce ( this will cost you approx 65 euro annually).

2. Contact the tax office and

a) apply for a VAT-number (Value-Added Tax). If you have only a limited inland turnover, there is a possibility to apply for VAT-exemption afterwards, but you'll need the number not only for paying VAT but also to be able to send EU-clients invoices without adding VAT to the net amount.

b) apply for a VAR-statement. This is an official document(to be renewed every year - free of charge) stating that the tax authorities officially recognise you as a free-lancer. (Inland) outsourcers need a copy of this document to their files so that they can prove that they do not employ you. In order to qualify for a VAR-statement you need more than 3 clients, but you'll be given ample time to settle and get there.

If you have more questions, please, contact me directly through my Proz profile. I'll be happy to help as far as I can.


Direct link Reply with quote

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Kamer van Koophandel - why Oct 17, 2006

avantix wrote:
1. Register with the Chamber of Commerce ( this will cost you approx 65 euro annually).

What for? I am not registered and I know a lot of colleagues here who are not. This is imho not a duty and I do not see advantages either. For an agency of course its quite different.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing and Taxing in EU (Netherlands)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search