Anibal Feder
Anibal Feder  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 7, 2006

Hi,

I am dealing with a publisher about translating a chemistry & physics book, university level, english into spanish.
They propose to me a rate of : 1,5 usd per 1000 characters. Is this a rate or a joke? Someone who has experience in this field can help me? The book has 1000 pages, and the original is a hardcopy.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:19
English to French
+ ...
Abnormal rate Nov 7, 2006

I think either they are trying to save money or there must be a typo. This rate is abnormal even if you move the comma one slot to the right.

If you accept the contract with this rate, I hope at least you will make sure you will be credited on the cover page of the book

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:19
English to German
+ ...
A joke Nov 7, 2006

I translated a book of roughly 1000 pages in 2004/5. It took nine months of intense work with three times proofreading and lots of discussion with the author, etc. It worked out very well and it was paid adequately.

Books are not paid as well as other work. It is just a question of whether you like to have something published with your name in it. Still, when planning the project I had to ask for a price that is wo
... See more
I translated a book of roughly 1000 pages in 2004/5. It took nine months of intense work with three times proofreading and lots of discussion with the author, etc. It worked out very well and it was paid adequately.

Books are not paid as well as other work. It is just a question of whether you like to have something published with your name in it. Still, when planning the project I had to ask for a price that is worth nine months of work. Can you live nine months by 1500 US-$ or maybe 3000 US-$, depending on the size of the pages?

I would not know how to do this. Okay, the overall amount of time and money depends on the size of the pages, the difficulty of the text and the quality expected (though I would not go for less than doing my best), but in any case, this offer is simply ridiculous.

Tell them to have it machine translated. The bill may cover the expenses for a computer, software and electricity. Then they can proofread it themselves - saves a lot of money.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:19
Turkish to English
+ ...
I agree with Claudia Nov 7, 2006

I am working on a book translation for the first time in my life. It has long been a personal ambition of mine to do this and I am both interested in the subject matter (the Cyprus problem) and, broadly speaking, agree with the position adopted by the author. These factors make me prepared to take a cut in earnings and work on an assignment that I expect to take two and a half or three months in return for what I can earn in one month doing legal/financial translations. Translating books pays le... See more
I am working on a book translation for the first time in my life. It has long been a personal ambition of mine to do this and I am both interested in the subject matter (the Cyprus problem) and, broadly speaking, agree with the position adopted by the author. These factors make me prepared to take a cut in earnings and work on an assignment that I expect to take two and a half or three months in return for what I can earn in one month doing legal/financial translations. Translating books pays less and it is up to you to decide how low you are prepared to go. I heard that somebody in Cyprus translated a book by Hegel from German into Greek (for a publisher) for the princely sum of one hundred Cyprus pounds (just over two hundred US dollars!). If you find the rate offered unacceptable you have the option of rejecting it!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Physics - Rates per character

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »