US English to British English - applicable rates
Thread poster: Ivana UK

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:10
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Nov 15, 2006

Can anyone give me some advice on the going rates for editing US English into British English?

I'm fully aware that no-one likes to openly discuss rates in a forum - what I need is some indication (e.g. as a percentage of standard translating rates from a foreign language into English or some other similar method of comparison) on how to calculate such rates.

I've run a few searches both online and within the Proz forum but haven't come up with anything much.

I've handled a few such projects in the past and always had the niggling sensation that I undercut myself, so any suggestions from anyone who has experience of either US to British English (or British English to US English) are much appreciated.

Ivana

[Edited at 2006-11-15 00:35]

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Editing rates Nov 15, 2006

Hi Ivana,

I once did a localization into Latin American Spanish of a software originally localized for the Spanish (Spain) market and I applied my proofreading/editing rates.

Regards,
Marina

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Why not apply your hourly rate? Nov 15, 2006

I have never done this, but if I was asked to do so, I would charge my hourly proofing rate. That way you can't feel cheated.

CathyFS  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Nov 15, 2006

I have done similar work at my hourly rate. It's the only way I agreed to take the job on!

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:10
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That's right, Nov 15, 2006

just charge them hourly with your normal editing rate.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:10
English to Spanish
Question Dec 20, 2006

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the hourly rates for localisation: how many words app. is a translator expected to localise from one variant of the language to another (eg: American to British English, like Ivana posted)??

I ask because I saw a job offer that surprised me, but to be honest I don't know for certain if the outsourcer's expectations are standard or not.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US English to British English - applicable rates

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search