Thread poster: PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:40
English to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 2, 2006

I'm working as a freelancer for many years. Today, I was given a word by one of my outsourcer for the payment. He is a trustworthy outsourcer till now. He provides me the job and sends me money after a particular time period. I never had any problem regarding same.

Once a while in recent days, When he didn't pick up phone, I tried several times, as I was ready to movein to his office to get the payment. Even after several tries, he didn't pick up the phone, leaving me confused. ... See more
I'm working as a freelancer for many years. Today, I was given a word by one of my outsourcer for the payment. He is a trustworthy outsourcer till now. He provides me the job and sends me money after a particular time period. I never had any problem regarding same.

Once a while in recent days, When he didn't pick up phone, I tried several times, as I was ready to movein to his office to get the payment. Even after several tries, he didn't pick up the phone, leaving me confused.
Later in the evening, he called me and said that he wasn't able to pick up the phone as he was busy in an emergency situation with one of his friend, where he was engaged, and he raised the questions in an aggresive tone that why did I rang him so many times? Firstly, I tried to convince him calmly by sending him an apologetic sms, in case I hurt him. But he still replied, that it wasn't necessary to call him so many times. Well, what I thought, wrote it and sent an sms. I wrote-

"It's unfair to say sir, that I'd wait more for payment. If I die hard to respect your deadlines in my worst circumstances! Didn't you yourself agree for the date for receiving payments?? "

Later on, I thought, whether I did it rightly or not! I did the same, what my heart said. What would you have done in the same situation? Whether I was right in writing my heart's words? Any comments from anyone will be heartily welcomed!

PRAKAASH

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-03 07:41]

[Edited at 2006-12-03 13:08]
Collapse

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:10
English to Greek
+ ...
Question Dec 3, 2006

How late is the payment, Prakaash?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:10
English to French
+ ...
You shouldn't mix business with what your heart says Dec 3, 2006

I understand your frustration and we've probably all had similar experiences. However, business and emotions are a dangerous mix.

I also would have politely reminded the client of his obligations and that I've filled my obligations. But by involving your emotions in this matter, you are only hurting yourself. I find it arrogant that the client complains about your calls - it is he who provoked those calls in the first place and had he paid you on time or at least contacted you about
... See more
I understand your frustration and we've probably all had similar experiences. However, business and emotions are a dangerous mix.

I also would have politely reminded the client of his obligations and that I've filled my obligations. But by involving your emotions in this matter, you are only hurting yourself. I find it arrogant that the client complains about your calls - it is he who provoked those calls in the first place and had he paid you on time or at least contacted you about it, OR at least picked up the phone when you called, he would not have ended up finding your calls annoying. However, if you get all worked up about it, that will not do you any good. Ultimately, it's your money that you want, however insulting this experience may be.

The only way you will ever be able to take good business decisions and treat your clients in a way that will provide you with lots of business without risking not getting paid is if you keep cool. There are already enough emotions coming with this job - no need to make it even harder for yourself by getting frustrated about payment issues.

I will only remind you that if the wrong was on the client's side - that is the case here - you shouldn't be too nice about it, otherwise, this client will pull another of these on you in the future. I hope when you SMSd him to say you're sorry about the annoying calls, you weren't overly sweet with him. The best thing in the circumstances is to say you are sorry if your calls were unpleasant for him, but that by calling you first or at least answering you call in the first place, he could have avoided the repeat calls. Then, tell him that you hope next time your communications will work out better and that for your part, you will do what you can so they turn out fine. Then, offer him an alternative method of dealing with payments or reminders and tell him it's only to help him to avoid such situations in the future.
Collapse

Raghunathan Rajagopalan
Raghunathan Rajagopalan  Identity Verified
German to English
Just don't deal with him Dec 3, 2006

Prakash,

It is unethical on his part not to take your calls considering the fact that you have done an assignment and he owes you money within a specified period. His complaining about your making calls is unreasonable. You should not have SMSd him. No point in being sweet to such type of agencies.

Just remove him from your contact list and look out for good outsources. There are many honest and good outsourcers around.

I will not accept any assignmen
... See more
Prakash,

It is unethical on his part not to take your calls considering the fact that you have done an assignment and he owes you money within a specified period. His complaining about your making calls is unreasonable. You should not have SMSd him. No point in being sweet to such type of agencies.

Just remove him from your contact list and look out for good outsources. There are many honest and good outsourcers around.

I will not accept any assignments from him unless he tenders an apology to me if I were in your place.

Good Luck,

Raghunathan
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Raghuji Dec 3, 2006

[quote]R.Raghunathan wrote:

It is unethical ......................such type of agencies.

PRAKASH: That's what I felt at first, but then I remembered that he said that he was not in position to take up the call as he was on an urgent move to his friend's emergency work.(Sorry to say that edited part is yet not there in this posting.) Moreover, he is an old trustworthy outsourcer, who used to give me the jobs from a long time and paid them accordingly.

Raghuji: Just remove.........................................good outsourcers around.

PRAKASH: It'll be unfair to say that he is totally bad as I've dealt with him several times. He is honest and good but here, lacked the proper behaviour, that's behavioural problem I think now. Moreover, he wasn't able to attend my call. It may be an excuse or truth, but my experience says that he shouldn't have been saying a lie.

RAGHUJI: I will not accept any assignments from him unless he tenders an apology to me if I were in your place.

PRAKASH: That's what I'm thinking to do, if nothing goes on positive. Would love to deal with such kind of people, who work on principles (he never tries to cheat), but would not deal in the manner, I did. Moreover, he is the first outsourcer, whom I visited in my life. The nearer you go, the more you are taken for granted, I feel. I'm sure that my payment will be with me in a day or two, as he has never betrayed in such a rubbish manner.

Many thanks for sharing your feelings, Raghuji!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I would never phone Dec 3, 2006

Instead I would keep all reminders in writing, so I would have proof if it came to courts finally. I think phone calls are rather unpleasent and a waste of time on both sides.
Cheers
Heinrich

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:10
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Written rather than spoken reminders Dec 4, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Instead I would keep all reminders in writing, so I would have proof if it came to courts finally. I think phone calls are rather unpleasent and a waste of time on both sides.
Cheers
Heinrich

I agree with Heinrich. First of all, you should send written reminders. If it does not work, you may follow it by phone calls.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:10
French to English
I wouldn't take it too personally Dec 4, 2006

It sounds to me as though this man was under a lot of pressure. He was doing a rush job, and the fact that he phoned you late does seem to indicate that he was working hard and late.

Everyone has "off" days, unless he continues to be rude to you, I wouldn't take it too personally. Give him the benefit of the doubt, don't be too harsh unless this happens again.

For future reference, I agree with Hipyan and Heinrich that it is much better to send a written reminder first.
... See more
It sounds to me as though this man was under a lot of pressure. He was doing a rush job, and the fact that he phoned you late does seem to indicate that he was working hard and late.

Everyone has "off" days, unless he continues to be rude to you, I wouldn't take it too personally. Give him the benefit of the doubt, don't be too harsh unless this happens again.

For future reference, I agree with Hipyan and Heinrich that it is much better to send a written reminder first. It leaves a trace that you have done so, it seems more polite and it leaves both people the time to take things calmly!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remind an outsourcer about payment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »