Portuguese tax advice
Thread poster: Emily Williams

Emily Williams  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
German to English
Dec 5, 2006

I'm looking for advice from other freelance translators based in Portugal. I translate from Germn-English, and have just registered as a freelance worker. However, despite long hours staring at the government finances website, Portuguese dictionary in hand (my Portuguese is still pitiful, especially when it comes to officialese), I'm still unclear on a few points.
1. Thanks to previous posts, I've established that I don't have to charge IVA to the agency based in Germany that I usually work for.
2. I know I have to submit a declaration at the end of the tax year - is this something I can do myself, or should I really call in an accountant. .
3. is this the same thing are the 'declaraciao periodico' . . .which I've seen mentioned.
4. what kind of things (petrol, computer hardware etc) can I claim against income tax. . . ?
I know these questions are indications of my hopeless naiviety in terms of freelance work etc. Any help, or indications of where I can find help would be much appreciated. . . Many thanks in advance

Emily

Direct link Reply with quote

Francesca Verd  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:10
English to Catalan
+ ...
If you have registered as a trabalhador independente... Dec 6, 2006

for the first time, then, for the first year you are not supposed to charge IVA to anyone. And you are not supposed to do any retention either. And you can ask not to pay anything for social security for one year as well.

If you are in the "Regime Simplificado" you can't deduct anything for expenses. All you do is take the copies of the "Recibos verdes" to an accountant (I would do that, yes) who will do the tax report for you.

I think that in the "Regime Simplificado" you are deducted 30% of your total income as expenses, and then you pay whatever you have to pay on the remaining 70%.

If your portuguese is not so good, you might find some advice at this forum: http://www.expatsportugal.com. They are quite nice and ready to help.

Emily Williams  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 6, 2006

Thankyou, things are starting to make a bit more sense now. And great link too

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese tax advice

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search