Portuguese tax advice
Thread poster: Emily Williams

Emily Williams  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
German to English
Dec 5, 2006

I'm looking for advice from other freelance translators based in Portugal. I translate from Germn-English, and have just registered as a freelance worker. However, despite long hours staring at the government finances website, Portuguese dictionary in hand (my Portuguese is still pitiful, especially when it comes to officialese), I'm still unclear on a few points.
1. Thanks to previous posts, I've established that I don't have to charge IVA to the agency based in Germany that I usually work for.
2. I know I have to submit a declaration at the end of the tax year - is this something I can do myself, or should I really call in an accountant. .
3. is this the same thing are the 'declaraciao periodico' . . .which I've seen mentioned.
4. what kind of things (petrol, computer hardware etc) can I claim against income tax. . . ?
I know these questions are indications of my hopeless naiviety in terms of freelance work etc. Any help, or indications of where I can find help would be much appreciated. . . Many thanks in advance

Emily


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Francesca Verd  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
English to Catalan
+ ...
If you have registered as a trabalhador independente... Dec 6, 2006

for the first time, then, for the first year you are not supposed to charge IVA to anyone. And you are not supposed to do any retention either. And you can ask not to pay anything for social security for one year as well.

If you are in the "Regime Simplificado" you can't deduct anything for expenses. All you do is take the copies of the "Recibos verdes" to an accountant (I would do that, yes) who will do the tax report for you.

I think that in the "Regime Simplificado" you are deducted 30% of your total income as expenses, and then you pay whatever you have to pay on the remaining 70%.

If your portuguese is not so good, you might find some advice at this forum: http://www.expatsportugal.com. They are quite nice and ready to help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emily Williams  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 6, 2006

Thankyou, things are starting to make a bit more sense now. And great link too

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese tax advice

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search