Translation fees in Europe
Thread poster: Amy Duncan
Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2006

Just curious....what is the price range (in euros) for translations, per word, in Europe?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Italian to English
+ ...
It depends... Dec 8, 2006

On the source language, on the target language, on the country, on the agency, on the text type, on the format of the source text.... too many factors for anyone to give a general answer, I'd imagine!

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Rates surveys Dec 8, 2006

See this page for links to rates surveys:

www.marcprior.de/english/rates.html

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, let me make this more specific.... Dec 8, 2006

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

On the source language, on the target language, on the country, on the agency, on the text type, on the format of the source text.... too many factors for anyone to give a general answer, I'd imagine!

Portuguese to English, per word rates for companies in Portugal, general texts. This doesn't need to be an exact rate, but rather a range.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Rates in Portugal Dec 8, 2006

Amy Duncan wrote:

Portuguese to English, per word rates for companies in Portugal, general texts. This doesn't need to be an exact rate, but rather a range.

Amy, hi - am going to let you know in a behind-the-scenes e-mail shortly
Debs

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:23
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Check Rates Dec 8, 2006

Hi

Did you check the reates section of proz.com

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

If you do so you will be able to see.
Regards,

N. Yigit

xxxdf49f
France
answer also depends... Dec 8, 2006

... on why the question is asked... i.e. to offer the same kind of range to potential European clients and make sure you don't get cheated by unscrupulous agencies? or to compete with lower rates and contribute to the slump in our European market, where we're all burdened with high taxes and charges and high costs of living?
df

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone... Dec 8, 2006

I appreciate your help, and I now have the information I need.

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 20:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Minimum, 14 cents a word Dec 8, 2006

I will never work for less.

Didn't notice any actual numbers in the other answers. Funny, that ...

Jackie Bowman

Local time: 20:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why? Dec 8, 2006

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

Debs

Why is it 'behind-the-scenes'?

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No comment! Dec 9, 2006

df49f wrote:

... on why the question is asked... i.e. to offer the same kind of range to potential European clients and make sure you don't get cheated by unscrupulous agencies? or to compete with lower rates and contribute to the slump in our European market, where we're all burdened with high taxes and charges and high costs of living?
df

Heh, heh, I don't think I'm obliged to answer that...

xxxdf49f
France
no comment... Dec 9, 2006

Amy Duncan wrote:
df49f wrote:
df

Heh, heh, I don't think I'm obliged to answer that...

No obligation whatsoever indeed! The question was rhetorical and not even a "no comment answer was really expected!
However a no comment answer may lead some of us (the more pessimistic or cynical types) to (wrongly?) guess in favor of the second of the above reasons
And that, in turn, would most certainly not encourage me, as an occasional outsourcing freelancer based in Europe, to seek any kind of collaboration with a non-European freelancer competing with her colleagues in France or Portugal by forcing their/our rates downwards. (BTW for info, I never pay less than 15 eurocent/wd to colleagues whenever I have to outsource...)
A real answer would of course have lifted any nasty doubts the nasties like me may have had!
df

[Edited at 2006-12-09 17:54]

xxxdf49f
France
answer to why no other numbers Dec 9, 2006

Jackie Bowman wrote:
Didn't notice any actual numbers in the other answers. Funny, that ...

Hi Jackie
See my post above and the no comment answer + my response below for a reason why I personally gave no actual numbers in response to the request for rate information in Europe
df

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just to clear up any doubts... Dec 10, 2006

df49f wrote:

No obligation whatsoever indeed! The question was rhetorical and not even a "no comment answer was really expected!
However a no comment answer may lead some of us (the more pessimistic or cynical types) to (wrongly?) guess in favor of the second of the above reasons
And that, in turn, would most certainly not encourage me, as an occasional outsourcing freelancer based in Europe, to seek any kind of collaboration with a non-European freelancer competing with her colleagues in France or Portugal by forcing their/our rates downwards. (BTW for info, I never pay less than 15 eurocent/wd to colleagues whenever I have to outsource...)
A real answer would of course have lifted any nasty doubts the nasties like me may have had!
df

[Edited at 2006-12-09 17:54]

OK my dear, the reason I didn't get specific is that it's a kind of personal situation between myself and the owner of a company with whom I've been on friendly terms for a number of years, and I just wanted to get an idea of going rates to see if it's time to ask for a raise!

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
To satisfy your curiosity ......... Dec 10, 2006

Jackie Bowman wrote:

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

Debs

Why is it 'behind-the-scenes'?

Because that's my prerogative, obviously.

Is furthermore information relating to rates in my country of residence for one of my language pairs, which I'm not prepared to share on an open forum, but (for various reasons) am happy to share specifically with Amy.

Sincerely hope that's clear enough now.

[Edited at 2006-12-10 18:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation fees in Europe

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search