Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
German currency controls Dec 13, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I'm not aware of any currency controls in Germany.

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the reassurance. That's one thing fewer to worry about.

MfG,
Rich

[Edited at 2006-12-13 17:43]

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 15:52
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I think the dollar will even raise Dec 14, 2006

...but not soon. Just without any politics - USA was at war with Iraq. That means billions of expenses from the state budget for army, and other military needs - huge amounts of money spend "extra" what made a big "hole" in the budget. In such a case, more "paper money" has to be "printed" and that means inflation (actually all USA citizens had to "finance" the war, i.e. either you buy less for the same cash, or have less cash). Maybe it is a highly speculative and primitive "theory", but I thin... See more
...but not soon. Just without any politics - USA was at war with Iraq. That means billions of expenses from the state budget for army, and other military needs - huge amounts of money spend "extra" what made a big "hole" in the budget. In such a case, more "paper money" has to be "printed" and that means inflation (actually all USA citizens had to "finance" the war, i.e. either you buy less for the same cash, or have less cash). Maybe it is a highly speculative and primitive "theory", but I think it caused a temporal inflation of the USD and all depends on the USA government as how they resolve this issue in the nearest future. As all oil transations are paid in USD, USA now is selling the oil they obtained during the war on a smaller price not to enable the Russians to have too much of the income. The more of the product you have, the more discount you can make just not to let your main competor (ecoomical and political) to gain strength))

You can compare the situation when the Gulf War was - the USD went down seriously too. Later it recovered substantially after the financial crisis in Asia...Sorry, but no politics here too...

In your situation, I would not worry too much. I think dollar will rise again soon. I would not buy euros.
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IRA-x fuss probably not mattering at all Dec 14, 2006

I think all IRA-x carry-on has to do with democracy, not with oil. Cancelling the oil embargo would have been thousand times easier than intervening. Anyway, George seems to have finished his Rummikub game, probably he'll start a Stratego one to clean up the mess.
The trade deficit probably has to do with a somewhat nonchalant way leaders and managers in Anglosaxon countries consider costumer needs, and consequently don't really fine tune things like infrastucture and consumer goods. The U
... See more
I think all IRA-x carry-on has to do with democracy, not with oil. Cancelling the oil embargo would have been thousand times easier than intervening. Anyway, George seems to have finished his Rummikub game, probably he'll start a Stratego one to clean up the mess.
The trade deficit probably has to do with a somewhat nonchalant way leaders and managers in Anglosaxon countries consider costumer needs, and consequently don't really fine tune things like infrastucture and consumer goods. The UK too log considered existing ties with CommonWealth as a solid base and since they do like to fiddle with classic sports cars, high quality design seemed to be only necessary for the limousines. Anticipating was considered a symptom of hypertension, leading to products of low quality and with high energy consumption. Cheap problem childs, into which you don't need to put much effort to export them. First because you won't have much success and secondly because you have a hugh internal market because everybody needs a new equipment each three years. Better design together with more export efforts would solve the problems.
God bless America and all other countries!
Collapse

Darin Fitzpatrick
Darin Fitzpatrick  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
What's your goal? Jan 5, 2007

Rich B. wrote:

Would it be wise to exchange dollars for Euros now if the money will be needed in the near future or are these predictions unreasonable? How is this situation affecting your business or travel plans?

Kind of a late entry, but I was wondering whether you plan to need the money in euros or in dollars? If you're talking about making a substatial investment (like buying property) you might look into hedging the currency to eliminate risk.

If you're trying to make money by speculating on the currency, good luck. Professionals do this with huge sums on a constant basis and some manage to make a living....

As far as travel plans go, it's a bummer for Americans! But once I've made plans for a trip, I go, regardless of whether the cost creeps up on me. My exposure is a couple of hundred dollars, at most. I think my next vacation trip will probably be southwards, not eastwards.

For business, I try to get paid in euros, but only by soliciting European companies. American companies pay in dollars, and Europeans in euro. Overall, I bill about 80% in euros.

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: What's your goal? Jan 6, 2007

A fellow engineer's entry is never too late in my humble opinion, Darin. To answer your questions though, I need the money in Euros to pay living expenses in Düsseldorf and tuition at its Volkshochschule. Arbitrage is not one of my objectives. Also, my travel plan philosophy matches yours.

A BSME and BA in German eh? You must have been one busy undergrad. It warms my heart to see the younger generation of U.S. engineers learning and using foreign languages. Now, when I was in
... See more
A fellow engineer's entry is never too late in my humble opinion, Darin. To answer your questions though, I need the money in Euros to pay living expenses in Düsseldorf and tuition at its Volkshochschule. Arbitrage is not one of my objectives. Also, my travel plan philosophy matches yours.

A BSME and BA in German eh? You must have been one busy undergrad. It warms my heart to see the younger generation of U.S. engineers learning and using foreign languages. Now, when I was in Engineering School...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's happening to the US dollar?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »