Job: WORLDWIDE FAMOUS CORPORATE SLOGAN for 5 dollars!
Thread poster: M_a_r_i_n_a
M_a_r_i_n_a
M_a_r_i_n_a
Local time: 07:31
Dec 12, 2006

I was surprised to see this job offer this morning: translation/localization of an internationally known 6-word corporate slogan, for 5 dollars.

They are looking for "THE talented Localizer with verifiable Marketing / Advertising background".

Even the most talented creative localizer might need more than 8,5 minutes to think of THE good translation for a widely known slogan. Calculated on a basis of 36$/hour (an average rate), 5$ is what corresponds to 8,5 minutes. So
... See more
I was surprised to see this job offer this morning: translation/localization of an internationally known 6-word corporate slogan, for 5 dollars.

They are looking for "THE talented Localizer with verifiable Marketing / Advertising background".

Even the most talented creative localizer might need more than 8,5 minutes to think of THE good translation for a widely known slogan. Calculated on a basis of 36$/hour (an average rate), 5$ is what corresponds to 8,5 minutes. So you have 8,5 minutes to think of an interesting translation for an internationally known slogan - good luck!
On the other hand, the translation of a slogan is part of the corporate image of a company, it will be internationally used for advertisement, copyrighted by the company, printed, published thousands of times...

So how was the pricing calculated?
1$ for the translation, 1,5$ for the creativity and 2,5$ for the royalties?

PS:
Additional requirements:
DO NOT RUSH, JUST WAIT FOR YOUR INSPIRATION TO COME
[sic]

[Edited at 2006-12-12 08:08]
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
... Dec 12, 2006

You forgot to mention the time required to read and sign the NDA:

"Applicants MUST have a strong verifiable Marketing / Advertising background and will be required to sign a strict NDA."

That's at least another 15 to 20 minutes ...

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
From 5 to 500 to 5000 USD! Dec 12, 2006

Actually, there was a note saying the 500 USD quoted was an error and that the payment would be 5000 USD. Maybe it meant the 5.00 USD quoted would be in fact 50.00 USD, which would be more plausible.

M_a_r_i_n_a
M_a_r_i_n_a
TOPIC STARTER
correction Dec 12, 2006

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Actually, there was a note saying the 500 USD quoted was an error and that the payment would be 5000 USD. Maybe it meant the 5.00 USD quoted would be in fact 50.00 USD, which would be more plausible.

Curious, this note (correction on the payment) was added 15 minutes after I sent the forum post...

Well, I'm sure the first price was just a mistake...
What I can't understand is that before the payment correction, more than 50 translators had applied for the 5 USD job!

[Edited at 2006-12-12 08:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job: WORLDWIDE FAMOUS CORPORATE SLOGAN for 5 dollars!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »