Bruno Espalha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:13
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

Hello dear members,

I know that topics like this one have been posted but after reading them all i still don't have a clear vision on how to calculate rates per line of characters.

I have been asked to give my rates for a line of 60 characters in a translation from Spanish into Portuguese. How many words are there in a line of 60 characters?

Thank you all.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
average is 5 characters per word (in English) Dec 12, 2006

But I suppose that they are counting "characters with spaces"?

To verify this estimated word count, you can experiment with MS Word's Word Count tool, which gives # of words, characters, and characters-with-spaces. Divide the number of characters in sample strings (or blocks, or chapters, even) into the number of words, and you'll see that it can vary, but it tends to average out at about 5.

In the past, I've charged every 6 characters as a word (a word + a space).
... See more
But I suppose that they are counting "characters with spaces"?

To verify this estimated word count, you can experiment with MS Word's Word Count tool, which gives # of words, characters, and characters-with-spaces. Divide the number of characters in sample strings (or blocks, or chapters, even) into the number of words, and you'll see that it can vary, but it tends to average out at about 5.

In the past, I've charged every 6 characters as a word (a word + a space).

Does that help?
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
new est. of characters/word in English Dec 12, 2006

Espalha,
I don't know if my info on English is helpful...perhaps not! But, oddly enough, I just got a message from an editor at Stanford University Press, where she mentioned that 850,000 characters "translates" into about 130,000 words -- 6.5 characters per word (I'm sure that she's including spaces). HTH
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish - Portuguese Per Line Fee

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »