How much do I charge?
Thread poster: Nuria Navarro

Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2006

I'm correcting a sworn translation from Spanish into English . Tomorrow I have to go to the lawyer's office to stamp and sign all the pages in front of the parties of the contract. The problem is that I don't know which price should I charge per word, because this is a sworn translation. The normal price my clients pay when I translate a document from Spanish into English is 0'09€ per word.

Can somebody give me an opinion?

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:00
French to Spanish
+ ...
Strange. Dec 20, 2006

1.- One thing is to charge .09 per word translation. Fine. With your stamp.
2.- The other thing is "to go there" and "stamp it". Never heard of it and this must NOT be included in your translation fees.
3.- 30/40 euros just to go there, per hour, seems OK to me. (Well depending on where do you have to go: if you live in Barcelona and have to go to Berlin... well.)

Very strange indeed.

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:00
French to Portuguese
+ ...
What I do Dec 20, 2006

I usually charge sworn documents per word and then charge a fee to go to the Notary Public and certify the translation (this fee depends on the translators).

You should charge a fee for going to the lawyers' office to sign the documents. You have to see how much will you spend by going there (transportation, gas, etc.) and the time you spend there. You can charge by the hour as if you were doing a translation because while you'll be there you won't be doing anything else and you could be working on another translation. That's why I charge a fee for going to the Notary Public (for the "trouble") and, besides that fee, I also make the clients pay for the certified translation.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ivana

Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments Dec 20, 2006

Thank you for your comments.

I am going to charge a fee per hour (as Ivana said) as well as the price "per kilometer" (in this part of Spain is around 0'22€ per km).

But the thing is I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I'll try to explain it again. I am prooferading a sworn translation from Spanish into English. How much should I charge per word?

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do I charge?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search