Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2002

Hello everybody,

I recently had to pay my bank 15 Euros in order to receive payment of a small bill I had issued for a translation some time ago. Is it normal practice in the world of freelance translation to have to pay to receive the money due for a translation? I have not dealt enough with new or unknown customers to know whether this is common or not.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kurt Beals
Local time: 18:14
German to English
That's been my experience Nov 21, 2002

I do work in the US for German companies, and my bank charges a $10 fee for incoming international bank transfers. If I were paid with checks, I\'d have to pay for the currency conversion (EUR to USD), so that would add up too, and take longer. My solution is not to take on jobs too small to be worthwhile - and to invoice regular customers on a monthly basis, so the amounts accumulate over time. I don\'t know any better way to do it.

Kurt Beals
Local time: 18:14
German to English
That's been my experience Nov 21, 2002

I do work in the US for German companies, and my bank charges a $10 fee for incoming international bank transfers. If I were paid with checks, I\'d have to pay for the currency conversion (EUR to USD), so that would add up too, and take longer. My solution is not to take on jobs too small to be worthwhile - and to invoice regular customers on a monthly basis, so the amounts accumulate over time. I don\'t know any better way to do it.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:14
English to German
+ ...
15 euros is a bit excessive... Nov 21, 2002

...although that depends (i) on the type of account you use (the snag with most \"free\" accounts is in the small print..) and (ii) on the instructions issued by the payer. It\'s pretty customary that each side covers its own cost (although this was discussed rather controversially in a recent thread on the \"Zahlungspraxis\" list).

My bank charges 6 euros per incoming foreign payment on my company account - there are cheaper alternatives such as Citibank\'s CitiOne account, but they are only open to private individuals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paying 15 Euros to receive payment for a translation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search