Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:17
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 4, 2007

Hi, everyone!

I've just received a notification from Paypal, saying I've exceeded a specified amount and I must provide information about business and documentation...

Is this legal? Can they require documentation, such as national identity card and passport (by fax) and information about business?

Has anyone received this kind of notification?

TIA

Elisabete Cunha

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
hold on Jan 4, 2007

Top amounts depend on the kind of account you have. They usually require a credit card or some other information in order to verify identity and account.

After that, your limits are already set and the system doesn`t allow any withdrawals or deposits beyond them.

What you are telling sounds very weird and kind of phishing. I`d disregard this email and -just in case- go to the site, log into your account and check if everything is fine there, if there is any warning or
... See more
Top amounts depend on the kind of account you have. They usually require a credit card or some other information in order to verify identity and account.

After that, your limits are already set and the system doesn`t allow any withdrawals or deposits beyond them.

What you are telling sounds very weird and kind of phishing. I`d disregard this email and -just in case- go to the site, log into your account and check if everything is fine there, if there is any warning or whatever.

If there isn`t any warnings or messages, forget about it and move on.

Walter

[Edited at 2007-01-04 14:21]
Collapse

Kevin Kelly
Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Sounds highly suspicious... Jan 4, 2007

This may be an illicit attempt by someone other than PayPal to get private information from you. I would advise not to respond to this message, but to contact PayPal separately to verify whether or not the communication is from PayPal.

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
English to German
+ ...
Before you react Jan 4, 2007

you should first make sure, this notification was really sent by Paypal. You can go to their website and log into your account (directly in your browser, not by clicking some link in that notification) and see if something is amiss there.

And you can send the notification (if it was an email) to [email protected] and ask if it was really sent by Paypal so you have to react to it.

If it was sent by them then you should
... See more
you should first make sure, this notification was really sent by Paypal. You can go to their website and log into your account (directly in your browser, not by clicking some link in that notification) and see if something is amiss there.

And you can send the notification (if it was an email) to [email protected] and ask if it was really sent by Paypal so you have to react to it.

If it was sent by them then you should read their conditions of use carefully. There you will find the information on what conditions you can use their services.
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it's not that notification Jan 4, 2007

I've already associated the credit card and I hold a Premier Account.

Now this is to comply with legal regulations, they say.

Walter Landesman wrote:

What you are telling sounds very weird and kind of phishing. I`d disregard this email and -just in case- go to the site, log into your account and check if everything is fine there, if there is any warning or whatever.

If there isn`t any warnings or messages, forget about it and move on.

Walter

[Edited at 2007-01-04 14:21]

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds legitimate, but make sure it is Jan 4, 2007

I had to do the same a couple of months ago. I had to upgrade my account because I received a sum that was too high for the type of account I had. I had to fax a copy of my identity card and some other information to prove that my business was real.
But to be on the safe side - I agree with Claudia - log into your account typing the URL directly into your browser instead of clicking on a link in the e-mail message. You should see a message stating that you have to fax them these documents.
... See more
I had to do the same a couple of months ago. I had to upgrade my account because I received a sum that was too high for the type of account I had. I had to fax a copy of my identity card and some other information to prove that my business was real.
But to be on the safe side - I agree with Claudia - log into your account typing the URL directly into your browser instead of clicking on a link in the e-mail message. You should see a message stating that you have to fax them these documents.
If you have any queries, contact PayPal, they are really friendly and helpful.
Collapse

Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 09:17
English to Danish
+ ...
Got one of those as well Jan 4, 2007

I got a similar message a while ago. It seems to come from PayPal alright.

I'm ignoring it so far as I feel that it's none of their business, but there is a note in their documentation, saying that these steps must be completed within 180 days.

I'm curious to see what will happen then.

Cheers,
Soren

Elisabete Cunha
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This was really sent by Paypal Jan 4, 2007

Yes, it was sent by Paypal, because when I log into my account, there is a warning saying that I should provide information about my account, because I've received total payments of a certain amount.
It seems that Paypal is required by European regulations against money laundering, to provide information when clients receive high amounts of money.

Daniela Warman
Daniela Warman
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Not from PayPal Jan 4, 2007

Sorry, didn't read your last post.

-------

I have never ever had anything of the sort from PayPal. I would do as Claudia said. A quicker way to check is to hover over the hyperlink on the e-mail and you can normally tel if the server is www.paypal.com (or .co.uk / .fr, etc.) or if (as I believe it will be) it is another company trying to steal your identity or personal information.

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

If it was sent by them then you should read their conditions of use carefully. There you will find the information on what conditions you can use their services.

[Edited at 2007-01-04 14:47]

Elisabete Cunha
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but that is not the same Jan 4, 2007

I've already upgraded my account a long time ago, added a credit card and now I hold a Premier account, but the problem is that I exceeded another amount
And they want information...

Els Hoefman wrote:

If you have any queries, contact PayPal, they are really friendly and helpful.

Elisabete Cunha
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your help Jan 4, 2007

I'll think I will do like Soren and wait for some time to see what happens.
Anyway, I've already withdrawn all the money to my bank account... We never know

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hohum... Jan 4, 2007

Anyway, I've already withdrawn all the money to my bank account

Fine, we can't live without our money, so better be safe, but what about being sorry some time down the road? Can we live without our Paypal accounts?

The ultimate in this direction, here in Germany, is losing your driving license. Paying a ticket for speeding, parking in the noi-go zone etc now and then (and then behave for a while) is not such a big price for having and keeping this darn piece of plastic...

Does PayPal want to play the financial Lord Vader? Encroach on our freedoms and assets? gimme a break...

[Edited at 2007-01-04 21:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notification on paypal

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »