Client changing a PO one month later
Thread poster: Derringdo
Derringdo
Derringdo  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2007

I did an app. 20000 word job in mid December for an agency that I had done two small jobs for earlier. This bigger job was of a different character than the first ones and without any negotiations on price whatsoever they immediately sent me a PO with a rate about 25 % higher than for the first small jobs. I did not comment on that as the job in my opinion was more difficult.
Now one month later (I haven't gotten round to send an invoice) when I wrote them about some other issue regarding
... See more
I did an app. 20000 word job in mid December for an agency that I had done two small jobs for earlier. This bigger job was of a different character than the first ones and without any negotiations on price whatsoever they immediately sent me a PO with a rate about 25 % higher than for the first small jobs. I did not comment on that as the job in my opinion was more difficult.
Now one month later (I haven't gotten round to send an invoice) when I wrote them about some other issue regarding the job they suddenly send me a new PO with the message "We have noticed changes to the PO". The total price has now been reduced by 25 %.
Because of the higher rate I contracted a proofreader to check the text, so this turn of events will set me back quite a bit.

Should I have commented on the rate in the first place or is this behaviour by the agency unacceptable?
Collapse

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
French to English
This is the agency's fault Jan 11, 2007

This is the agency's fault, not yours. A PO is a contract; they cannot change it once you have both agreed to it. If I were you, I would contact the agency and politely explain the situation, pointing out that you agreed on a price and that you hired a proofreader because of that. I don't see why you should lose money over this.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:42
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Agency cannot unilaterally change terms "after the fact" Jan 11, 2007

I fully agree with Kathryn. In addition, you had honoured your contractual obligation (i.e. the delivery of the translation) long before they came up with that change.

On a related note, what does the agency's remark mean that they "have noticed changes to the PO"? Are they trying to blame you for that?

Plain unreasonable behaviour on their part.

Steffen

P.S. Question is what they'd have done if you sent your invoice with the job straig
... See more
I fully agree with Kathryn. In addition, you had honoured your contractual obligation (i.e. the delivery of the translation) long before they came up with that change.

On a related note, what does the agency's remark mean that they "have noticed changes to the PO"? Are they trying to blame you for that?

Plain unreasonable behaviour on their part.

Steffen

P.S. Question is what they'd have done if you sent your invoice with the job straight away...
Collapse

Derringdo
Derringdo  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, for your replies. Jan 11, 2007

I am glad to hear that my perception of the PO is correct but I have seen many strange things in the world of translation so...

I will try to explain the situation politely and see if we can agree.

Thanks for your time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client changing a PO one month later

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »