United States
Local time: 00:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Options... Jan 17, 2007

Julianne Rowland wrote:
My bank charges a $10 receiving fee for international wire transfers

For what it's worth, Commerce Bank has a personal checking account that charges no fees for incoming international wires. I'm not sure if they're in your area, though.

and for one client, in particular, another $25 fee is taken out somewhere along the way - from an intermediary bank somewhere along the way, I assume.

I don't work with clients who expect me to pay their business expenses. I make it clear that I pay my own bank fees and they pay theirs. I also don't allow them to deduct "handling charges" and any other silly excuses for not paying what they owe.

Usually, my European clients pay via Paypal.

Paypal charges me a fee to convert euros to dollars, but I plan my price quotes accordingly. At present, with a weak dollar and a strong euro, there's still a decent amount of money left even after the conversion fees.

[Edited at 2007-01-17 05:48]

Julianne Rowland
Julianne Rowland  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment in USD Jan 17, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

[For what it's worth, Commerce Bank has a personal checking account that charges no fees for incoming international wires. I'm not sure if they're in your area, though.

I don't know if there is a Commerce Bank in my area, but I do most of my banking online anyway, so it may be worth looking into Commerce Bank if they are online. Thanks for the tip.

Paypal charges me a fee to convert euros to dollars, but I plan my price quotes accordingly. At present, with a weak dollar and a strong euro, there's still a decent amount of money left even after the conversion fees.

When I quote a price to a European client, I quote in USD and expect the client to pay me that amount, which may vary in Euros, depending on the current exchange rate. So, until now, I really haven't had dealt directly in Euros. I assume most translators quote in their local currency, correct?

As far as the fees are concerned, I realize now that the client is probably choosing to pass the cost on to me, so if we don't work out a PayPal arrangement, I will have to talk to this client about paying his share of the fees.

Kelly O'Connor
Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Paypal - rip-off Jan 17, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:
Usually, my European clients pay via Paypal.

Maybe I'm not doing the Paypal thing right, but I think that their charges can be outrageous. I was charged around € 6.50 to receive a € 120 payment from a Spanish agency. The subsequent transfer to my US account was free, but still. Sheesh!

Moneybookers is the best way to go, but not many of my clients seem to have it or know how to use it.

I have also tried checks. These are usually free to deposit, but the Euro/dollar conversion rate can sometimes be terrible, so it is often better to bite the bullet and ask for a wire transfer which costs a bit more but gives a better conversion rate.

So many choices, it's up to you. The bank is going to make some money off you no matter what you choose.

Kelly

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 23:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Paypal across the ocean Jan 17, 2007

I love Paypal within the US but in receiving an equivalent of 780 USD from the UK I paid $5 + conversion fee + some percentage plus they put it on hold for 5 days on the UK end and then I had to request money transfer to my US account and wait for 2 or 3 days before the money actually hit it.

Should my colleague who was involved read it, hey, no problem:-). Everything was within the agreement, this is only a factual statement.

Kelly O'Connor
Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Paypal fees Jan 18, 2007

IreneN wrote:

I love Paypal within the US but in receiving an equivalent of 780 USD from the UK I paid $5 + conversion fee + some percentage plus they put it on hold for 5 days on the UK end and then I had to request money transfer to my US account and wait for 2 or 3 days before the money actually hit it.

Should my colleague who was involved read it, hey, no problem:-). Everything was within the agreement, this is only a factual statement.

How do you get that rate from Paypal? According to my calculations a $780 payment would cost more than $ 22 (or $780 x 2.9% + 30 cents). Is it a special account?

I hope I'm not being indiscreet, but I would love to save some money with PayPal!

Kelly

Justas Staniulis
Justas Staniulis  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
PayPal in Lithuania Feb 2, 2007

It seems, that PayPal does not allow citizens of certain countries to receive any funds through it. I'm living in Lithuania, and my account is indicated as „Send Only“. Is there any way around that?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to receive international payment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »