Conversion of line rates to word rates
Thread poster: Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Local time: 00:42
German to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2007

I'm asking on the off-chance.... does anyone have a useful formula for converting line rates to word rates?

I have just completed a job for a client with whom I normally apply a rate per line of 55 keystrokes, counted using Count'It (we both use the same application). However the job comprised a PowerPoint file and a Word file with approx 20% text boxes and was completed in Tag Editor. I pretty much have the option of charging my usual line rate - if I can work out how to count the lines in the files - or convert to the equivalent word rate. I should stress that this is one of my favourite clients and the question is not one of pricing per se, merely a mathematical conversion! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Here is a converter Jan 23, 2007

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php

HTH

Emma Gledhill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 23, 2007

That's marvellous!!

BTW anyone know how to convert words to lines e.g. in a PowerPoint file? Can it even be done?

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
That's just what I was about to suggest.... Jan 23, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:

http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php

HTH

Practicount invoicing software allows you to count both words and lines in Powerpoint files.

HTH

Alison

NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Conversion words per line Jan 24, 2007

Hi Emma,

I have recently made the above conversion:

English technical text: 9.5 words/line,
German technical text: 7.5 words/line
(same text actually).

These figure are easily used for converting your rates, or you could make your own standards from a few of your documents.

Kind regards
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion of line rates to word rates

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search