the idea of a single minimum rate is a no-hoper
Thread poster: Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 08:38
French to English
Nov 27, 2001

I consider 0.08 euros per word (a euro is near enough a dollar) a pretty good rate; and clients in some countries would find $0.08 per word just plain out of reach.

There is no international standard for translation rates just as there is none for the price of Coca-Cola. I agree rates should be maintained, but you need to be fair to people with different relative money values. Sorry, but the idea of a single minimum rate is a no-hoper and I doubt whether a differential system of rates
... See more
I consider 0.08 euros per word (a euro is near enough a dollar) a pretty good rate; and clients in some countries would find $0.08 per word just plain out of reach.

There is no international standard for translation rates just as there is none for the price of Coca-Cola. I agree rates should be maintained, but you need to be fair to people with different relative money values. Sorry, but the idea of a single minimum rate is a no-hoper and I doubt whether a differential system of rates is workable.

Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 14:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right, Dave Nov 27, 2001

Dave,

I quite like your idea.

Proz.com should at least, insist on this rate of 8 cents/word when it calls itself as home for professionals.

Will proz.com do this?

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 04:38
German to English
+ ...
Others can do it - and so can ProZ Nov 27, 2001

Other services (incl. Aquarius) have minimum rates, and ProZ can pull it off too.

In addition, public tenders are subject to rigorous rules - and the ProZ bidding process should (and must) come under similar rules.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-27 21:48 ]

Kate Persson
Kate Persson
Denmark
Local time: 09:38
English to Danish
+ ...
Minimum rates Nov 28, 2001

0.08 euro is not at all sufficient for new words. 0.11 - 0.12 should be the lowest. The jobs are often difficult technical stuff, where YOU have to make sure that nobody is killed by for instance using certain devices. Furthermore quality assurance, preferably by an external proofreader is necessary and to be paid for. Of course it\'s possible to agree on a minimum rate: Translators unite.

Kate

Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 08:38
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm talking about relative values. Dec 5, 2001

Of course it\'s great if you can earn 10-11 eurocents a word. But I certainly don\'t feel impoverished doing even highly technical translations (which is mainly what I do) for 8 eurocents. At 8 eurocents a word I earn 250-300 euros a day, which I reckon puts me in the top 10% of French incomes. I don\'t see how anyone can consider that undercutting. Or is the \"problem\" that I am translating too quickly? (I hasten to add that I read my translations through twice when I\'m finished, so I\'m defi... See more
Of course it\'s great if you can earn 10-11 eurocents a word. But I certainly don\'t feel impoverished doing even highly technical translations (which is mainly what I do) for 8 eurocents. At 8 eurocents a word I earn 250-300 euros a day, which I reckon puts me in the top 10% of French incomes. I don\'t see how anyone can consider that undercutting. Or is the \"problem\" that I am translating too quickly? (I hasten to add that I read my translations through twice when I\'m finished, so I\'m definitely NOT skimping on quality!)

Now go and convince a Laotian whose family and friends are earning 10 dollars a day that he or she is getting a raw deal at 4 cents a word, or go telling a company that does business in India that they have to pay the equivalent of a year\'s salary for a 20 page translation. Stick a $0,08 bottom limit on bids and you\'re ruling out half the world or more.

Furthermore, Aquarius may well practice a minimum rate (I don\'t doubt your word), but does this mean Aquarius is any better for it? Or is it just better for a certain elite?

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the idea of a single minimum rate is a no-hoper

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »