Thread poster: Clive Wilshin
Clive Wilshin
Clive Wilshin  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2007

Who agrees?

Almost every job I have got through this site has involved me having to chase after late payers. In one case the client defaulted, in another I was paid after five months. I am currently chasing payment for a job I completed to a high standard and to deadline three months ago. I did the work, and this agency got paid for it! (Or if it didn't, that's its affair.) I'm really fed up with it. Cannot more robust action be taken against late payers? Should those who post jobs
... See more
Who agrees?

Almost every job I have got through this site has involved me having to chase after late payers. In one case the client defaulted, in another I was paid after five months. I am currently chasing payment for a job I completed to a high standard and to deadline three months ago. I did the work, and this agency got paid for it! (Or if it didn't, that's its affair.) I'm really fed up with it. Cannot more robust action be taken against late payers? Should those who post jobs on this site not have to undertake to deal conscientiously with its members?

In my view, agencies about whom proz members complain should be barred from posting jobs on this site in future.

[Edited at 2007-02-10 21:43]
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:42
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I do agree Feb 10, 2007

This issue will probably raise a couple of questionmarks, but there might be a safe way to do that.
By all means, we should avoid to be "one of those translation marketplaces" and actually, even here, I already came across a few quite dubious clients (well, they appear everywhere...)
In the meantime, let's go to the Blue Board, I have myself a company that became very silent since my invoice (and there's no BB entry yet).

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 23:42
English to Russian
+ ...
I do Feb 10, 2007

In all honesty, I can't comprehend why people even consider accepting jobs from the unknown agencies. Not necessarily unknown to them but unknown in the industry. Aside of the BB there always is a way to do some investigation, ask around, draw certain conclusions from the initial exchange etc.

Contrary to popular belief, professional agency is a great thing but based on the number of complaints Proz also seems to be used freely by all kinds of jerks. I know, it's just a venue...
... See more
In all honesty, I can't comprehend why people even consider accepting jobs from the unknown agencies. Not necessarily unknown to them but unknown in the industry. Aside of the BB there always is a way to do some investigation, ask around, draw certain conclusions from the initial exchange etc.

Contrary to popular belief, professional agency is a great thing but based on the number of complaints Proz also seems to be used freely by all kinds of jerks. I know, it's just a venue...

Time for the poll showing the ratio of timely paid/eventually paid/unpaid jobs obtained through Proz.

Please think before bidding!
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Exactly my feeling Feb 10, 2007

Clive Wilshin wrote:

Who agrees?

In my view, agencies about whom proz members complain should be barred from posting jobs on this site in future.

Today, there has been a job offered which I saw, other than on ProZ. com, on two more translator sites. It was about 12 pages due for next monday and I found surprising the quote of 0,04 Euro/word. A quick glance on the Blue Board showed that they had got a rating of 1 (only one entry, though).

So I wondered why people like that are still allowed to post jobs here on ProZ.com at least.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The way to go ... Feb 10, 2007

is to use the mechanism already in place, and thats BB.

Asking about some action against these jerks: DO NOT ACCEPT ANY JOBS FROM THEM ANYMORE. LET THEM SUFFOCATE AND GO UNDER. TELL OTHERS ABOUT THEM.

I have had my share of bad payers; but I have not used the little of the clout I do have and avoided so far to stamp on them. Probably Ill go and do it - I owe it to my colleagues.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Feb 10, 2007

Clive Wilshin wrote:

Who agrees?

That's the best way to improve their payment methods

[Edited at 2007-02-11 03:22]

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Who defines the criteria? Feb 11, 2007

Nice idea but...

I have also seen people complaining about payment terms, discount practices and low rates offered. Is two months outrageous as a term (like some people think) or not? Is one person complaining enough to ban an agency? Isn´t a ban going to stimulate the real crooks to create new, fake identities?

I agree with Vito. If an agency has a bad rating, or no rating at all, you take a risk. If you don´t want to pay for membership you take a risk. If you don´t
... See more
Nice idea but...

I have also seen people complaining about payment terms, discount practices and low rates offered. Is two months outrageous as a term (like some people think) or not? Is one person complaining enough to ban an agency? Isn´t a ban going to stimulate the real crooks to create new, fake identities?

I agree with Vito. If an agency has a bad rating, or no rating at all, you take a risk. If you don´t want to pay for membership you take a risk. If you don´t want to take risks don´t accept those jobs, and become a member...

[Edited at 2007-02-11 00:33]

[Edited at 2007-02-11 00:34]
Collapse

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Technically no, ethically yes Feb 11, 2007

Hi,

Ethically I agree with you. But I guess that is not possible to apply.
If an agency or outsourcer is a "member" than they have bought a services from Proz.com. Not paying you or me is not a problem which may make it possible to interfere the business between agency X-and-Proz.com.

This is my observation. For sure proz.com staff know better than me

Regards,

N. Yigit

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Termination policy Feb 11, 2007

Hello,

Proz.com has a termination policy already in place. You can find the details at this page: http://www.proz.com/termination_policy

Regards,
Özden

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:42
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Exactly, Feb 11, 2007

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Hello,

Proz.com has a termination policy already in place. You can find the details at this page: http://www.proz.com/termination_policy

Regards,
Özden

This is the mechanism at our disposal.

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:12
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
two types of culprits Feb 11, 2007

HI.... In my opinion, there are two types of culprits: people who pay late (but atleast they do pay) and those who dont pay at all and constantly search for new victims.

Sometimes you get work via an outsourcer but the real client may be someone else. In this case, many a times the outsourcer has to get the payment from real client and then they will give you your share. Since global bank transfers take time, sometimes there may be delays. To deal with such type of late paying clien
... See more
HI.... In my opinion, there are two types of culprits: people who pay late (but atleast they do pay) and those who dont pay at all and constantly search for new victims.

Sometimes you get work via an outsourcer but the real client may be someone else. In this case, many a times the outsourcer has to get the payment from real client and then they will give you your share. Since global bank transfers take time, sometimes there may be delays. To deal with such type of late paying clients, you should insert a clause in your contract agreement stating that you would charge interest at the rate of 2% per month (or whatever you think is right) if the payment is delayed beyond the agreed upon deadline. This way they will be forced to pay you in time, and if they delay, you are getting interest on your dues.

To deal with second type of people, you must not take large jobs from unknown agencies or individuals who have no BB entry or LWA entry. While dealing with unknown/new clients with no BB history, start with small jobs, and if they pay satisfactorily then go on to take bigger jobs. In case they offer you a very large project, then there is a smart way which I often use. Suppose you get a project worth 500000 words, tell them that you would sumbit your work in instalments of 10000/20000 words and the next installment of your work would be sent when you are paid for your previously submitted work.
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Agency Posters Then Feb 11, 2007

I guess not a single agency should be posting any assignments on proz.com then!

[Edited at 2007-02-11 02:47]

[Edited at 2007-02-11 02:49]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good proposals Feb 11, 2007

To deal with second type of people, you must not take large jobs from unknown agencies or individuals who have no BB entry or LWA entry. While dealing with unknown/new clients with no BB history, start with small jobs, and if they pay satisfactorily then go on to take bigger jobs. In case they offer you a very large project, then there is a smart way which I often use. Suppose you get a project worth 500000 words, tell them that you would sumbit your work in instalments of 10000/20000 words and the next installment of your work would be sent when you are paid for your previously submitted work.

Interesting proposals. What do you think about advance payments? translators always risk their money. I agencies dare to pay these advance payments they will be risking their money too. I have asked some advance payments in the past and it has worked with people in Switzerland, France, USA and Spain. I live in Mexico.

[Edited at 2007-02-11 16:10]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Advance Payments Feb 11, 2007

Well, I'm not sure someone who is not aware of the quality of your work will pay you in advance. And it's only fair. So part payment within a couple of days of part deliveries (before the next delivery) is the best way to go. And of course the last delivery should be the smallest one, just in case.

Of course, there are some people who do pay on time... and in Advance. One of my interpretation client pays 70% in advance and 30% on the last day of assignment. And it keeps both of
... See more
Well, I'm not sure someone who is not aware of the quality of your work will pay you in advance. And it's only fair. So part payment within a couple of days of part deliveries (before the next delivery) is the best way to go. And of course the last delivery should be the smallest one, just in case.

Of course, there are some people who do pay on time... and in Advance. One of my interpretation client pays 70% in advance and 30% on the last day of assignment. And it keeps both of us happy. Not a bad idea. Right?

Just my views.

Regards,

Ritu
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Late payers should not be able to post jobs on proz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »