How should I quote for this project?
Thread poster: Fabrice -

Fabrice -
Local time: 04:32
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again for all the replies Feb 15, 2007

So ok no discount upfront for no reason.

But then how should I quote for this job? per word? per thousand words? hourly?

Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
7 weeks to delivery? Feb 15, 2007

Just received the document it's actually 50.000 words, I usually do about 2.000 words per day but given the nature of the job I figured 1.500 words/day would be more reasonable.

So that's 33.3 days work, now I'd like to work 5 days per week, that's 6.6 weeks.

So that would be 7 weeks to delivery.

Does that sound excessive?

GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
Mexico
Local time: 06:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never give discounts Feb 15, 2007

Quote this job the same that you would quote a 2 page job. I quote always by the word. I don't pay any attention at all to repetitions.

I have fixed prices - which I use to quote all jobs. I never discount those prices no matter what the size of the job is. If anything, I am more inclined to quote a larger job higher.

I used to discount years ago, but I learned the hard way - that it is usually the client that insists on a discount who is going to be the most demanding
... See more
Quote this job the same that you would quote a 2 page job. I quote always by the word. I don't pay any attention at all to repetitions.

I have fixed prices - which I use to quote all jobs. I never discount those prices no matter what the size of the job is. If anything, I am more inclined to quote a larger job higher.

I used to discount years ago, but I learned the hard way - that it is usually the client that insists on a discount who is going to be the most demanding. I lose a few jobs, but the quality of my work is better, when I can dedicate the necessary time and resources to it. There is nothing worse than not charging enough for your time.
Glenn

[Edited at 2007-02-15 20:14]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
that's reasonable... Feb 15, 2007

You may suggest halfway delivery; even if it is not accepted, it makes a nice impression.

If you have the source, you can now check how many effective words there are (I assume you do have some CAT tool available). The effective words correlate closest to the time you need to do the job.

Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don'at have a CAT tool Feb 15, 2007

If you have the source, you can now check how many effective words there are (I assume you do have some CAT tool available). The effective words correlate closest to the time you need to do the job.

Actually I don't have one and haven't feel the need for one until now.
I just checked the cost of a Trados license and I just can't afford one right now.

I also tried OmegaT a while back but I don't think it provide information like effective words.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:32
German to English
Give yourself more time Feb 15, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:

Just received the document it's actually 50.000 words, I usually do about 2.000 words per day but given the nature of the job I figured 1.500 words/day would be more reasonable.

So that's 33.3 days work, now I'd like to work 5 days per week, that's 6.6 weeks.

Give yourself more time. On a job that big, any number of unanticipated events may take place that could slow you down. Building in just a half week's margin is cutting it too close; otherwise you may be working 18 hours/day, 7 days/week toward the end.

Cathy Flick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
quote as you do for smaller jobs Feb 16, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:

"But then how should I quote for this job? per word? per thousand words? hourly?"

Just do whatever you usually do for other smaller jobs. The client probably needs to know a maximum figure if you bill on target or hourly, in order to budget and compare bids. If you bill on source, just use your usual fee per source word for that kind of text with that kind of formatting difficulties for hardcopy (none if the source is a Word doc) and that ki
... See more
Fabrice Renaud wrote:

"But then how should I quote for this job? per word? per thousand words? hourly?"

Just do whatever you usually do for other smaller jobs. The client probably needs to know a maximum figure if you bill on target or hourly, in order to budget and compare bids. If you bill on source, just use your usual fee per source word for that kind of text with that kind of formatting difficulties for hardcopy (none if the source is a Word doc) and that kind of deadline etc. and quote a fixed fee.

If you can offer faster service for a rush fee, tell the client the different costs depending on rush or non-rush deadlines. Be sure you indicate the deadline as a certain number of business days after the start date (in addition to indicating a calendar date if the decision is made very soon) and that the start date may need to be changed - this allows for time the client may need to decide whether or not to accept your offer, and any other work you may contract to do from other clients while waiting for the decision.

If your client does mention repetitions later, you can also use your normal fee as the maximum billable amount and charge hourly if that is cheaper. Then if repetitions save time, the bill will be lower. But repetitions do not guarantee time savings. You also can offer to do certain sections of the text on an hourly basis (for instance, I sometimes do this for long sections of chemical names when the source is a Word doc and I can adjust the source names, search-replace, etc.).

You also should decide if you need to bill in installments, with or without delivery of sections in installments. This job is the size of a small book, and installments (including a partial advance payment before starting) are not unusual for books even if delivery is not in installments.

You don't absolutely have to bill in installments. But if you are planning to devote your time exclusively to this job for several weeks, you need to consider how that affects your cash flow. That's why I generally set non-rush deadlines to allow for other jobs simultaneously. Then a job taking me several weeks doesn't leave me with no money in the "pipeline", even if I don't bill for it in installments. But often the client needs installments (maybe not for your job), and it is reasonable in that case to just send partial bills for each installment.

Peace, Cathy Flick
Collapse

Erich Ekoputra  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:32
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
YES, Base it on time spent Feb 16, 2007

MarcPrior wrote:

After all, the price is based on your estimate of what you think your time and effort are work, not the fact that you have identified X number of repetitions, even though that information may have influenced your quote.

Marc

I think Marc has said the real nature of selling services, that is, selling YOUR TIME. See our "counterparts": auditors, consultants, trainers, advisors, ... They charge their clients with only two numbers in their heads:

(a) how long will I spend for this project?
(b) how long is my experience?

Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
50% common with first doc Feb 20, 2007

Thanks again for you advice.

I ended up quoting per word.

Now regarding the second document, since I will be using wordfast and knew there was a fair bit in common with the first doc,I gave a 15% discount.

But now customer has pointed out about 50% of the doc is actually in common with the first one.

So how should I quote it? 50% per word already in the TM and regular price for the rest?

[Edited at 2007-02-20 01:42]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I quote for this project?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search