Thread poster: Ivaylo Ivanov

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2007

Hi all!

Can someone give me a clue how to set glossary translation rates per term and per hour? In other words, how to determine glossary translation work on the basis of my basic translation rate (let's say 0.0X EUR/word) and hourly rate (let say YY EUR/hour)? What is the usual markup in glossary translation jobs?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Russian
+ ...
How does one translate just glossaries? Feb 15, 2007

Do you mean that you need to compile a glossary while translating a project? In that case editing hourly rate should do, on top of project word count, of course. Or did you receive a 2-column table with the target column empty? That would be some endeavour...

[Edited at 2007-02-15 13:15]

Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not compiling but translating Feb 15, 2007

Hi IreneN,

Translating a two-colum glossary. It entails researching terminology, consulting dictionaries, etc.

How would you price such work? Like editing?

IreneN wrote:

Do you mean that you need to compile a glossary while translating a project? In that case editing hourly rate should do, on top of project word count, of course. Or did you receive a 2-column table with the target column empty? That would be some endeavour...

[Edited at 2007-02-15 13:15]

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi ivaylo Feb 15, 2007

No pun intended - I can't imagine how is it possible at all unless you read and study the entire project first. Subsequently, this should be billable time also. How can any glossary be created out of the context? How is it possible to research terminology without project-specific purpose, plainly, a specific paragraph? How to choose, which dictionary rendition to pick? By compiling I meant making entries as you go along translating or editing other translators' work, and then, from time to time, finalizing the next revision of the glossary.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to tell you what to do and when I asked my questions I was hoping to understand the process better but I sincerely do not and, therefore, can't give any sound advise.

Good luck
Irene

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:31
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
This kind of work is very expensive... Feb 15, 2007

How would you price such work? Like editing?

My experience is it costs double, tripple and more of the normal time per word.

I did this kind of translations several times and my experience is that, whoever wants it, he is starting from the wrong side of the horse and the cart. So called ancillary files are a distillation of a huge corpus of material (project files, documentation etc) and at least in my case there were moments, where I did not know whether the word is a verb, noun, attribute ... ProZ and colleagues were a great help, but if it is specialized, one-of-a-kind expression, which you dont understand and to top it, you cant even find it on Google, what are you supposed to do?

Fact is, that I did receive the follow-up work - in other words the horse followed - and thank God I could go back and correct the most offensive and stupid bloopers.

The best of the world would be to have the material on hand to read through first, possibly in a machine-readable form, at least to have the concordances. Asking the client for it would establish the level at which you would like to cooperate - and get paid. And it should NOT be anything like 0.0X!

[Edited at 2007-02-15 16:13]

Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not just a mere list of words but... Feb 15, 2007

Thanks for your replies,

However, the glossary is not just randomly extracted but it has been more thoroughly developed in the source language. It has fields like Source Term, Context, very often explanatory Notes or Definition for more obscure terms.

Nevertheless, you usually spend more time on a single term than on a whole sentence, even paragraph, in a continuous text.

Sometimes 300-word glossary may occupy you a whole day.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glossaries Feb 16, 2007

I usually ask 10 times my normal rate to translate glossaries and apply my normal hourly rate (as for proof-reading, etc.).

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 14:31
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Huh...? Feb 16, 2007

Marijke wrote:

I usually ask 10 times my normal rate to translate glossaries and apply my normal hourly rate (as for proof-reading, etc.).

Sorry, Marijke!

Could you run that by us just once more. Is it 10 times your normal, or are you talking about two separate things here? (Yes, it is early in the morning for me to be thinking!! )

Bill

PS: And I very must agree with you and Vito. Out of context MUST cost more!

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fixed price per source term or hourly rate Feb 16, 2007

I have seen this paid for at the rate of one euro per term.

This might be a lot or very little, depending on the language pair (just researching terminology in Maltese is much more difficult than in Spanish, French or German, for instance) and the subject area.

Ideally, you should charge by the hour but then again, I guess the client will like to have a quote before you start the job.

Daniel

Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need a general scheme as a starting point Feb 16, 2007

Hi dgmaga,

That's my idea: How to quote before starting the job?

I think that rates based on the number of terms is a kind of standard for this particular type of work - e.g. translation of already created and structured glossary. Very often such glossaries has paralel translations in different languages which can be used as reference.

I want to get a picture how this work is priced. One euro per term seems a bit high but it is probably applicable to the rare languages - Maltese in your example.

I want to find a scheme how to tie the price to my basic rate in order to be prepared to give more appropriate quotes.

Something like the general rule that proofreading (reading only the target text) is usually 1/3 of the translation rate and editing (comparing the source and the translation) may consitute even 1/2 of the translation rate.

dgmaga wrote:

This might be a lot or very little, depending on the language pair (just researching terminology in Maltese is much more difficult than in Spanish, French or German, for instance) and the subject area.

Ideally, you should charge by the hour but then again, I guess the client will like to have a quote before you start the job.

Daniel

NTan
English
Glossary translation pricing resolved? Jul 2, 2007

Hi Ivaylo,

I am not a translator, but a consumer looking to have my organization's glossary translated. We plan to put together an english glossary first of technical terms (we're an international development finance institution), then have it translated into several different Asian languages. But before we can even determine how many words we can afford to have translated, I need to figure out a proper formula for offering fair rates to translators.

Was your issue back in February resolved? How did you end up charging your client?

With much appreciation,
NTan

ivaylo wrote:

Hi dgmaga,

That's my idea: How to quote before starting the job?

I think that rates based on the number of terms is a kind of standard for this particular type of work - e.g. translation of already created and structured glossary. Very often such glossaries has paralel translations in different languages which can be used as reference.

I want to get a picture how this work is priced. One euro per term seems a bit high but it is probably applicable to the rare languages - Maltese in your example.

I want to find a scheme how to tie the price to my basic rate in order to be prepared to give more appropriate quotes.

Something like the general rule that proofreading (reading only the target text) is usually 1/3 of the translation rate and editing (comparing the source and the translation) may consitute even 1/2 of the translation rate.

dgmaga wrote:

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary translation pricing

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search