https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/66164-need_advice_on_rate_to_charge_for_recorded_message.html

Need advice on rate to charge for recorded message
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:10
Member (2004)
English to French
Feb 15, 2007

Hi,
A client of mine usually only asks for written translation. Soon, I'll get another project where not only will I have to translate the text, but also record it.
How much should I charge for the recording? I still have not received it yet, but he told me it's only a few lines to read (I'll see for sure when I get it and I'll be the judge).
Has anyone had such a situation before.

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:10
French to English
Hourly rate Feb 15, 2007

Hi Nina,

I would charge an hourly rate and include travel time and expenses if applicable.
I say an hourly rate because even if the text is short, these things can take longer than expected - it's amazing how simple words can suddenly become tongue twisters when you press a record button.

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 13:10
English to Russian
Minimum USD 0.25 per word... Feb 15, 2007

...if you can call yourself a voice over artist...

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:10
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not a voice artist Feb 16, 2007

I don't know why my client asked this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on rate to charge for recorded message

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »