Lise Kristensen (X)
Lise Kristensen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, guys Feb 20, 2007

For all the insights -
and I sit here tending to agree with all of you...and ending up with the conclusion that it really is a question of supply, demand and the rent....the latter not being unimportant, but then neither is our selfrespect

Thanks again

Lise

rentao zhao
rentao zhao
Local time: 18:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have the same question Feb 22, 2007

Martin Jones wrote:

The problem is there are a lot of guys willing to work like a mule.
What can we do about it?

Have a nice time.

[修改时间: 2007-02-19 07:39]

It'd not easy to get out of the confusing translation market in China, as life is the priority.

Jonathan Faydi
Jonathan Faydi  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:55
Dutch to French
+ ...
A few word (I'm in a hurry...) Feb 22, 2007

Translation business is really amazing. It is one of the few examples I know of a totally free, unregulated market. Anyone can be a translator and market his/her services anywhere on earth without any restriction.

The pernicious effects of this unregulated market are known to all: customers trying to get as much as they can for a song, agencies trying to produce as much as they can to answer this demand (and exploiting translators to be able to meet the demands of the customers) and
... See more
Translation business is really amazing. It is one of the few examples I know of a totally free, unregulated market. Anyone can be a translator and market his/her services anywhere on earth without any restriction.

The pernicious effects of this unregulated market are known to all: customers trying to get as much as they can for a song, agencies trying to produce as much as they can to answer this demand (and exploiting translators to be able to meet the demands of the customers) and translators entering this system (either by necessity or lack of knowledge).

I really think we need to educate our customers : I often explain to them how big agencies work (I own a small agency myself). It's easy to understand that you pay much more for a product in a supermarket than at the producer's farm, isn't it? It's also easy to understand that the product is often much better at the producer's farm.

There is still some space for good translators working at fair prices and people need to understand how this profession is working.

The day I will be forced to produce crap, I will quit without hesitation. Until then I will keep on enjoying this job...
Collapse

Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
US$ .05... not a bad rate for India:( Feb 23, 2007

I was contacted by an India-based agency recently and they offered me US$ .005 (half a cent) per source word for English>Spanish translation. I did not even bother to reply to them.
My normal rates range between US$ .07 and .11/target word... but they do not get me any work. I have contacted over 400 agencies over the past 12 months and although most of them find my CV very attractive, why would they give me any work when they pay their translators between .02 and .04?
So guys, as so
... See more
I was contacted by an India-based agency recently and they offered me US$ .005 (half a cent) per source word for English>Spanish translation. I did not even bother to reply to them.
My normal rates range between US$ .07 and .11/target word... but they do not get me any work. I have contacted over 400 agencies over the past 12 months and although most of them find my CV very attractive, why would they give me any work when they pay their translators between .02 and .04?
So guys, as someone asked before: Where on earth do you get those high rates?

Have a nice weekend:)
Collapse

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 14:55
Arabic to English
+ ...
Get the rate that you want Feb 24, 2007

There are a few points about large translations on http://portreference.com/000001-Pricing.htm . It's from how I dealt with a 75,000-word job once.
In short I left it to the client to decide how many portions he'd want the job done in and asked him to pay for each in advance. I suggested around 10 portions. He paid 50% for the first 50% portion in advance 40% for the second 40% portion i
... See more
There are a few points about large translations on http://portreference.com/000001-Pricing.htm . It's from how I dealt with a 75,000-word job once.
In short I left it to the client to decide how many portions he'd want the job done in and asked him to pay for each in advance. I suggested around 10 portions. He paid 50% for the first 50% portion in advance 40% for the second 40% portion in advance again. The final payment was when I finished, since the source was actual booklets and not by email or Word format or some way that the words could be pre-calculated.
The per word price quoted was with the normal discount that I always give to bring the price that I want and accept working for. The article mentioned above will tell you how to do that.
Collapse

C8lin
C8lin
Chinese to English
RE:Where on earth do you get those high rates? Mar 19, 2007

trixiemck wrote:

So guys, as someone asked before: Where on earth do you get those high rates?

I live in Washington DC, and I get at least 0.14 USD per English word for Chinese-English translation. I guess it all depends on the market where you are...

Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
the market... Mar 19, 2007

It does not really matter where you live, but who you are offering your services to. I am talking about US-based agencies.

Muh Fatah Yasin
Muh Fatah Yasin
Local time: 17:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
be your self, Lise! Mar 26, 2007

Lise Kristensen wrote:

Hi -newbie here, and I was just wondering: a job this week paid $ 0,10 pr word translating 10.800 words on a web-site. A couple of hours ago, I was contacted by an Indian company with a rush-job of 3300 words and they were willing to pay $ 0,05. I politely declined, but was wondering whether perhaps the rates fall so much outside Europe.
I don't want to charge too much, buton the other hand, I won't sell myself too cheaply.
Thoughts, anyone?

Lise

No matter where do you live and how much your price. Give your best and they'll offer you jobs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are my rates too high ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »