Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Are my rates too high ?
Thread poster: Lise Kristensen
Lise Kristensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2007

Hi -newbie here, and I was just wondering: a job this week paid $ 0,10 pr word translating 10.800 words on a web-site. A couple of hours ago, I was contacted by an Indian company with a rush-job of 3300 words and they were willing to pay $ 0,05. I politely declined, but was wondering whether perhaps the rates fall so much outside Europe.
I don't want to charge too much, buton the other hand, I won't sell myself too cheaply.
Thoughts, anyone?

Lise

Direct link Reply with quote

Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to Danish
+ ...
Don't undersell yourself Feb 16, 2007

I got the same offer and declined as well. No need to settle for those low rates when there's plenty of good agencies willing to pay fair rates.

Cheers,
Søren

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Typical Case Feb 16, 2007

Lise Kristensen wrote:

. . . paid $ 0,10 pr word translating 10.800 words on a web-site. A couple of hours ago, I was contacted by an Indian company with a rush-job of 3300 words and they were willing to pay $ 0,05.

Lise

Hi Lise,

Your rate is good enough. Nevertheless, it is slightly lower than mine (as a freelancer living in a developing country). As for your last job offer, it is a typical case of Asian agencies. In general, their offered rates are a half of my normal rate while it is greatly possible that their clients are international companies who are capable of paying for decent rates. Just decline their offer politely.

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Bad as it is but considering the 'rush' component Feb 16, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Just decline their offer politely.

you don't even have to be excessively polite:-)

You did the right thing.
Irene

Nicole Blanc  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
I confirm Feb 16, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

[As for your last job offer, it is a typical case of Asian agencies. In general, their offered rates are a half of my normal rate while it is greatly possible that their clients are international companies who are capable of paying for decent rates. Just decline their offer politely.

I had recently the same kind of offer from a Chinese company - I declined very politely too.
But I took this opportunity to advise this outsourcer that they'd better raise their rates urgently to avoid getting even more jobs of extremely poor quality.
The charming lady I had on the phone seemed really extremely surprised by my statement - apparently, she had never (?) thought before this might become a genuine problem for her company.

Are the pricing conditions in Asian countries the sole and ultimate goal? Don't they care about quality? What about human beings' decent earnings and lives in Asia and wordwide?
This is becoming a really important issue in my opinion. And this namely in our trade where Internet is increasingly present.
nb

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not only Asian companies Feb 16, 2007

I work for a huge translation company based in NYC.
My rate is $0.11 and they put a lot of pressure on me to give them discounts. They keep offering me jobs at 0.09 or even 0.08, which converted in euros are very low rates. I don't know how other translators based in Europe can accept 0.09 or 0.08, but apparently they do.

Laura

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 14:36
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translation rates in China Feb 17, 2007

Hi ,

I am a english to chinese translator in China.

In fact , the translation agencies in China are competing at vey low price. For example, in Shanghai, US$0.035 per source english word is a decent rate from direct clients including subagencies of multinational companies in China. You can imagine the rate they pay to the translators.

As for multinational companies, if they set up subagencie in China, they are very happy to find that the translation is so cheap and they are happy to outsource these transaltion projects to local Chinese translaiton agencies.

As for translation quality, usually the quality of English to Chinese, Chinese to English, Japanese to Chinese and German to Chinese is acceptable. But for other language combinations, it is very hard to find qualified translators.I have read some translations from Italian to Chinese by local Chinese translators, in fact , i was astoughed that they can make so many mistakes in such short an article.

The roots of the problem is the low salaries in China, if you can get decent salaries from other jobs , you will not endure such low rate in translation, but in china, salaries in other trades are very low too.

More and more Chinese translators are seeking to cooperate with translation agencies in Europe and America to get decent salaries. It is a very bad thing for Chinese translators living outside of China, since they have to adjust their rates to resist these low price fellow translators.

Tomorrow will be Chinese Boar Year. Happy Boar Year! May You be Prosperous!

[修改时间: 2007-02-17 04:25]

Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am happy I am not the only one Feb 17, 2007

I am happy that I am not the only one that thinks this way. Unfortunately I have to say that lots of our colleagues don't share this opinion...I am new (or fairly new in Proz.com) and I was surprised at the low fees these companies were offering...It's really underpaid.
If there were more translators like you all we wouldn't be discussing this. Keep on fighting this low prices. I am totally in.

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:36
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Low rate quality Feb 17, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:
Are the pricing conditions in Asian countries the sole and ultimate goal? Don't they care about quality?

It is in fact their sole and ultimate goal, for too many high-rate outsourcers now turn to China and other "convenient" countries with the only desire to save money. Let's not blame translation companies in these countries, then, which can only be happy to have more and more work.

And as for quality, many of us are perhaps constantly translating from English texts written in the above countries. No question there are good translators there too, but most of them - I am talking about those who do not live in traditionally English-speaking countries such as India, for instance - should not be allowed to translate into English and complicate our life so badly. Very often their English is really horrible, and therefore you can imagine how the resulting translation in other languages would be even if you try to be creative and turn sentences upside down a hundred of times to have a clue.

I am just curious to know how people in the USA, UK or Canada react when they buy an appliance or an expensive plasma display written in such a poor English. Do some complain to their dealer?

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo-translation.com/

[Edited at 2007-02-17 01:35]

Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dismayed by Agencies That Offer Low Rates Feb 17, 2007

Accepting a low per word payment to do a translation is not, I think, where this profession should be. It would be better for ALL translators if agencies quit accepting assignments from organizations who claim to have a low budget for such "extras," or who demand a low price because of the high volume of work they funnel to the agency. Those are the excuses I sometimes get from agencies who want me to work for less than half my stated, established fee. If the end customer really needs the translation, I think they should cough up the full price so the translator can receive the per word amount he or she requires. And, of course, there are agencies that will tell you anything, regardless of the facts, to get translators to work "dirt cheap" for them. If they can't afford, at the least, what is considered to be the standard per word rate for translation, I think they need to close up shop and go into some other line of business where they won't have to deal with professionals or be expected to pay professional rates.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
You are not alone Feb 17, 2007

Hi,

We, too, face the same problem. Only people consider that it's ok because we are living in a developing country etc. but we work as hard as our counterparts elsewhere in the world. And most resources and tools have to be bought at international rates...

I don't know about other countries, but we, in India, are still trying to ensure that we don't get exploited like this... the problem is we are scattered and as most of us are busy it's difficult. And quite a few of us think that as these agencies (or Translation bureau) provide major work to us so...

For us, the best way out of this situation is to get more direct clients.

What makes things more difficult is the fact that usually Indian agencies even respond to bids where they clearly say it's only for individual translators and not for agencies. In fact, some time ago, I translated one such bid for an Indian agency... I don't think they would have got the job because the European agency asked for documents that only an individual can have, but one never knows!!!

Still, we are trying to get out of this situation. And of course, the easiest way out is to have high paying clients so that one has choice

In fact, recently we heard someone talk about multinationals and translation in India... but the best part is that these multinationals look for individual translators and pay fairly. So frankly I don't think that there's any reason for translators to be scared of multinationals... but then it was not a translator who was complaining

Just my point of view...

Sincerely,

Ritu

Sophieanne  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
English to French
+ ...
I also confirm Feb 17, 2007

Depending on the agencies, I charge between 0.10/0.12. Sometimes I'll accept less, if the job involves a very long text, but 0.08 is the lowest I will take for something non technical. I think what happens with these 0.05 offers is that, as some repliers suggested, quality isn't the first thing on the client's mind. And someone always ends up accepting, which is too bad.
I often get texts to translate into French that I imagine are the result of such low rates & practices. I'll get a text in English with nearly no grammar, or words missing, and I think, this was translated from another language, and it was done very approximately, to say the least. And it was probably paid 0.05...
You definitely did the right thing.

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Hi,

We, too, face the same problem. Only people consider that it's ok because we are living in a developing country etc. but we work as hard as our counterparts elsewhere in the world. And most resources and tools have to be bought at international rates...

I don't know about other countries, but we, in India, are still trying to ensure that we don't get exploited like this... the problem is we are scattered and as most of us are busy it's difficult. And quite a few of us think that as these agencies (or Translation bureau) provide major work to us so...

For us, the best way out of this situation is to get more direct clients.

What makes things more difficult is the fact that usually Indian agencies even respond to bids where they clearly say it's only for individual translators and not for agencies. In fact, some time ago, I translated one such bid for an Indian agency... I don't think they would have got the job because the European agency asked for documents that only an individual can have, but one never knows!!!

Still, we are trying to get out of this situation. And of course, the easiest way out is to have high paying clients so that one has choice

In fact, recently we heard someone talk about multinationals and translation in India... but the best part is that these multinationals look for individual translators and pay fairly. So frankly I don't think that there's any reason for translators to be scared of multinationals... but then it was not a translator who was complaining

Just my point of view...

Sincerely,

Ritu

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
You could try and offer a higher rate Feb 17, 2007

That's what I did a couple of days ago- an agency based in Hongkong offerd said low rate and I answered offering a higher rate. Of course they didn't get back to me...

However, even better paying agencies don't always get high (or even good) quality work. I've been proofing translations for a Swiss agency and some of them where just awful - although the rate is ok.

All the best,

Carolin

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
English to Polish
Mine's much lower Feb 17, 2007

None of my clients - no matter if Asian or European - would pay me more, than 0,05/0,06 Euro/USD per word.

Sometimes - when I read posts like this, I wonder where you, happy people, get your clients, who are willing to pay that much. If I would ask as much as I want - I wouldn't have any work at all

I realize that my prices make your (and my attempt to raise mine) extremely incompetitive, but then - my bills don't care, they need to be paid

And on a foot note - low prices don't have to mean bad quality!!

Anni

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 09:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Agree ... Feb 17, 2007

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I realize that my prices make your (and my attempt to raise mine) extremely incompetitive, but then - my bills don't care, they need to be paid

And on a foot note - low prices don't have to mean bad quality!!

Anni

My point exactly

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are my rates too high ?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search