https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/67124-7_ways_to_identify_a_bad_payer.html

7 ways to identify a bad-payer
Thread poster: Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:17
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Feb 28, 2007

Dear translators,
I have a blog for freelancer translators.
http://getdirectclient.blogspot.com/index.html
I share tips for translators. I have put a new post today " 7 ways to identify a bad-payer before you take up the translation job".
I invite you to visit my blo
... See more
Dear translators,
I have a blog for freelancer translators.
http://getdirectclient.blogspot.com/index.html
I share tips for translators. I have put a new post today " 7 ways to identify a bad-payer before you take up the translation job".
I invite you to visit my blog to read this and other posts.

http://getdirectclient.blogspot.com/2007/02/7-ways-to-identify-bad-payer-before-you.html

I welcome you all to share your tips with fellow translators.
Ostom
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Ways to check non-payers Feb 28, 2007

Hi,

I just read the ways mentioned by you. But I don't think these are always true.

Mail coming from free email providers like yahoo, hotmail, gmail- If the agency could not afford to pay for their own domain names how can they pay you?

Some of my best clients use these e-mail ids and so do I.

Of course, they have their own domain name, and so do I, but experience shows that at times these accounts are more certain way of receiving e-m
... See more
Hi,

I just read the ways mentioned by you. But I don't think these are always true.

Mail coming from free email providers like yahoo, hotmail, gmail- If the agency could not afford to pay for their own domain names how can they pay you?

Some of my best clients use these e-mail ids and so do I.

Of course, they have their own domain name, and so do I, but experience shows that at times these accounts are more certain way of receiving e-mails. Even in big multinationals (I've worked with some) e-mail that comes from their own domains may get stuck (eg. because of some server related problem) somewhere but somehow this rarely happens with free e-mail id providers.

And I guess we want our e-mail to reach its destination on time.

Agency wants 5000 words in a day.

Happens with the best agencies at times (not always). It's difficult and one has to negotiate and get more time. And usually they understand if you explain with proper reasoning.

And no one wants to lose clients because one has prejudices regarding the type of e-mail id etc.

Another way:

For companies in UK one can always check their address details etc. from the Companies House website ( http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk ). And if you have further queries calling them for information is quite helpful. I've used it once. And they were really helpful and answered my e-mails in record time.

This is much more reliable than any web-based search.

And you can get some basic information for free. At least you can find out that the company actually exists.

I don't know about other countries. But there must be some way to find out that as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ritu

[Edited at 2007-02-28 05:30]
Collapse

CroAnglo
CroAnglo
United States
Local time: 14:47
English to Croatian
+ ...
thx Feb 28, 2007

hi,
i am a new memeber and this is really helpful, thanx for your time!

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:47
English to Russian
+ ...
I really doubt Feb 28, 2007

just an example

Caterpillar wants their new technical manual of 100 thousand words to be translated in 10 days.

I do not think this is a sign that Caterpillar is not serious....

Quite opposite. usual stu/// of a BIG multinational.

++

as far as the free email addresses are concerned.
Just imagine some translator have introduced the idea of mobile office. The person does not sit in closed room, but walks in the streets or spend time in parks having his/her mobile communicator in the pocket.... Successfully runs his/her business from a location of his/her own choice.

Does he/her stop being serious as he/she has no more a big expensive office, a secretary, HUGE rent bills to pay, etc?

[Edited at 2007-02-28 09:24]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
My point exactly Sergei Feb 28, 2007

I just took those two as examples of ways that I don't agree with from the list on that blogsite.

And just gave an explanation why I don't agree with them.

Personally, I'd say that someone who does not spend a lot of money on infrastructure can at least pay better rates (for obvious reasons). Of course, whether one does that or not is a matter of one's policies and foresightedness.

[Edited at 2007-02-28 12:27]

Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:17
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who is behind the email id Feb 28, 2007

Hi,
The point is not whether a free mail id is used. The issue is one needs to know who is behind the email. If one gets an email from [email protected] but does not provide his her website url or full contact address one should be careful. I am working through net for last 8 years and this is from my own experience. When I analyse my bad-payers I find that they did not provide full contact details and had free email ids. The seven points I p
... See more
Hi,
The point is not whether a free mail id is used. The issue is one needs to know who is behind the email. If one gets an email from [email protected] but does not provide his her website url or full contact address one should be careful. I am working through net for last 8 years and this is from my own experience. When I analyse my bad-payers I find that they did not provide full contact details and had free email ids. The seven points I provided are just indicators and have to taken in combination.
We are always in a hurry to get more jobs and whenever receive any offer we accept it and do our best to deliver the job. It is in our interest to check, by whatever means whether the client is genuine or not.

Regarding 5000 words, this is just a figure. I received enquiries for large volume of job in a very limited time. Any project manager knows what is humanly possible to translate in a day. SO whenever such a request comes, we need to double check.

Ostom
Sergei Tumanov wrote:

just an example

Caterpillar wants their new technical manual of 100 thousand words to be translated in 10 days.

I do not think this is a sign that Caterpillar is not serious....

Quite opposite. usual stu/// of a BIG multinational.

++

as far as the free email addresses are concerned.
Just imagine some translator have introduced the idea of mobile office. The person does not sit in closed room, but walks in the streets or spend time in parks having his/her mobile communicator in the pocket.... Successfully runs his/her business from a location of his/her own choice.

Does he/her stop being serious as he/she has no more a big expensive office, a secretary, HUGE rent bills to pay, etc?

[Edited at 2007-02-28 09:24]
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:47
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
the 8th way Mar 5, 2007

Kinda combination: 1) checking profiles (like proz BB) and gathering some pre-info about the client (if possible) + 2) intuition - the first impression you get from non-verbal communication with the client and this "intuition" is nothing more than the practical experience from the previous jobs, years, etc. with some portion of an irrational consideration...

May appear funny, but in my case intuition worked better than pure logics several times - logically all seemed OK, but there
... See more
Kinda combination: 1) checking profiles (like proz BB) and gathering some pre-info about the client (if possible) + 2) intuition - the first impression you get from non-verbal communication with the client and this "intuition" is nothing more than the practical experience from the previous jobs, years, etc. with some portion of an irrational consideration...

May appear funny, but in my case intuition worked better than pure logics several times - logically all seemed OK, but there was a kind of feeling that "there is something wrong with this client, just cannot explain why") The latter was true

[Edited at 2007-03-05 21:27]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7 ways to identify a bad-payer

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »