https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/68010-job_posting_offering_low_rate.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Job posting offering low rate
Thread poster: Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Mar 11, 2007

Have you seen recent urgent jobs posted by allegdely "reputable" outsourcers? The last drop was one posted today: an urgent multilingual proofreading job to be completed today (Sunday) for 0.01 euro per word.

Isn't it outrageous?

The only thing that comes to my mind is: how do they dare?!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-11 18:20]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Indeed Mar 11, 2007

Of course there have been others where such prices have been offered for actual translation, not just proofing.

It would be interesting to know just what kind of responses and results such people get.

My hope is that everyone will ignore such offers.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Not outrageous, but dull Mar 11, 2007

What number is this forum post in the series? Has there been a million of them yet?

Seriously, it's the same thing over and over... and over...

wordsworldwi (X)
wordsworldwi (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
it's a never ending story Mar 11, 2007

yes, Monica,

it's outrageous, I agree but it's also frustrating, and it makes me feel sad because I end up thinking there will always be someone out there eager to accept!

Maria Grazia

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Another way of looking at it... Mar 11, 2007

Of course you're all right...professional translators shouldn't work for those prices. On the other hand, such jobs could be an opportunity for people who are just starting out. I remember when I was starting, I took some really low-paying jobs. They gave me experience, and after doing a bunch of them, I was gradually able to raise my prices. So, to me the low prices can have an up-side, too.

Amy

638556 (X)
638556 (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Necessary evil? Mar 11, 2007

I am also just starting out and although I don't think I would ever accept a job that paid 0.01 EUR, I am willing to consider lower paying jobs to get some more experience. So I agree with what you have said, Amy. For me it is quite hard to strike a balance between what you know your work is worth and what people are willing to pay you when they see you have limited experience. You can't get experience without work but you can't get work without experience.....so accepting a few low-paid jobs ... See more
I am also just starting out and although I don't think I would ever accept a job that paid 0.01 EUR, I am willing to consider lower paying jobs to get some more experience. So I agree with what you have said, Amy. For me it is quite hard to strike a balance between what you know your work is worth and what people are willing to pay you when they see you have limited experience. You can't get experience without work but you can't get work without experience.....so accepting a few low-paid jobs at the start is......a necessary evil in my opinion.)Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:29
German to English
+ ...
What about high rates? Mar 11, 2007

I noticed this job posting recently.

9000 words
at 60.000 GBP per word [ TOTAL: 540000.00 GBP ]

Unless they use a different notation system in the UK, this looks like a lot of money to me. (OK, it's PDF, but hey...)

Nobody complains about high rates though.

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
Experience Mar 11, 2007

I'm doing such low-paying jobs quite regularly, myself (translations, not just proofreading). Yeah, it's frustrating, since I know that my skills should be worth much more, but I only have about a year of actual experience, and I'm still in college, so I just try not to look at it as a way of making money; it's primarily for the experience.

Because of that, though, when I'm out of college as a professional translator, I know I'll be much more comfortable with my skill level and with
... See more
I'm doing such low-paying jobs quite regularly, myself (translations, not just proofreading). Yeah, it's frustrating, since I know that my skills should be worth much more, but I only have about a year of actual experience, and I'm still in college, so I just try not to look at it as a way of making money; it's primarily for the experience.

Because of that, though, when I'm out of college as a professional translator, I know I'll be much more comfortable with my skill level and with the idea of charging an appropriate rate. It seems that there is quite a large number of people who finish college -- but have no real-world experience -- and hope that they'll get an awesome salary just based on their degree. That kinda seems ridiculous to me -- I think one should start at the bottom and gradually move up.

I also assume that the clients offering these low rates don't really expect a top-quality translation, and realize that the translators accepting these jobs are beginners looking to expand their resume and gain some experience.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Alternatives Mar 12, 2007

Hi,

But even so, you should not be forced to resort to ultra-low offers.

Are you aware of the new mentoring program just released? And since this is for members only, watch the forums for an announcement of student memberships, as indicated by Henry earlier.

HTH, Ralf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Posts like these should be locked, IMO Mar 12, 2007

MÓNICA ALGAZI wrote:
The only thing that comes to my mind is: how do they dare?!

Forgive me for having this opinion, but these types of threads solve nothing and they add nothing new to the forum archives.

I don't mind discussions about low rates, but if a thread is simply meant as yet another rant, with nothing new being said and no realistic solutions being offered, then those threads should IMO the locked as soon as they appear to go that route.

Some outsourcers will offer low rates; it's a waste of energy to be offended or shocked or annoyed.

What say you?

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Low rates Mar 12, 2007

Hi. I wouln't take on a proofreading job for one cent per word. If I do take on a proofreading job (which is almost never, as I detest proofreading), I am usually asked what my hourly rate is. As for the outsourcer of the 1 cpw job, they should know that as in many occupations, you get what you pay for.

[Edited at 2007-03-12 13:47]

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mentoring program Mar 12, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Are you aware of the new mentoring program just released? And since this is for members only, watch the forums for an announcement of student memberships, as indicated by Henry earlier.

Thank you, Ralf, I'll look into that. I'm probably going to pay for full membership soon; 120 dollars per year is quite afforable, even at my current rates.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
I regret to say this, but Mar 12, 2007

I live in Estonia, and I think same is applicable to Latvia....

the rate of 0.01 per word is something around the level local scavengers get collecting empty bottles in the streets.

Why then to learn those dull languages?
Not to say about self respect...

[Edited at 2007-03-12 22:43]

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
It's not THAT bad. ;) Mar 12, 2007

I can make about 400-700 Euro per month, which of course is very low by the actual industry standards, but, as I said, I am still only a college student (second year), and I think I earn more than most students do in Latvia.

As for self-respect, that's not a problem to me. I feel much better about working part-time in my future profession and gaining valuable experience -- even if I get paid peanuts -- than I would working part-time at McDonald's flippin' burgers, or something.... See more
I can make about 400-700 Euro per month, which of course is very low by the actual industry standards, but, as I said, I am still only a college student (second year), and I think I earn more than most students do in Latvia.

As for self-respect, that's not a problem to me. I feel much better about working part-time in my future profession and gaining valuable experience -- even if I get paid peanuts -- than I would working part-time at McDonald's flippin' burgers, or something.
Collapse

Navy Huang
Navy Huang
China
Local time: 02:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let it be Mar 13, 2007

Some offer decent rates, some don't; some accept jobs that do not pay well, some don't. This is not a thing that just happens in translation industry, but everywhere. So just let it, what will be will be.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting offering low rate

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »