Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Your chance to aquire some experience Mar 26, 2007

and when the same subject comes up later you could ask for better pay.
If the job can be done in a few days and covers your expenses or if there is nothing else to do, why not.
But do not go for low quality, Even if you know that someone else will edite your translation.
Cheers
Heinrich

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:36
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, only 20 at a time, on one particular day and in one week Mar 26, 2007

Hi Ysav,

It takes quite a lot of time and effort to approach 20 agencies individually, in a proper manner that might make them interested in you. Even though your CV is the same in each case, the covering letter should be different for each one. You write it after looking at their web site and finding out what they do and what they might pay (can be worked out if they give a price list for customers, for instance).

As I said, I never got to the 20th before work came in,
... See more
Hi Ysav,

It takes quite a lot of time and effort to approach 20 agencies individually, in a proper manner that might make them interested in you. Even though your CV is the same in each case, the covering letter should be different for each one. You write it after looking at their web site and finding out what they do and what they might pay (can be worked out if they give a price list for customers, for instance).

As I said, I never got to the 20th before work came in, and I contacted 20 per week in those weeks where it was necessary (there were soon some weeks inbetween, when I had enough work).

Astrid

[Edited at 2007-03-26 13:31]
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NEVER do it worse... Mar 26, 2007

I agree on the general advice: never do it for less if you can do it for the right amount. In Spanish we say "Pan para hoy y hambre para mañana": you may get a job today but if you are not asking for the right amount you probably will...:

... have to continue earning less than you really need to survive

... be replaced by anyone that accepts low rates in the near future, thus loosing a customer who was never "your customer" indeed

But, if you decide
... See more
I agree on the general advice: never do it for less if you can do it for the right amount. In Spanish we say "Pan para hoy y hambre para mañana": you may get a job today but if you are not asking for the right amount you probably will...:

... have to continue earning less than you really need to survive

... be replaced by anyone that accepts low rates in the near future, thus loosing a customer who was never "your customer" indeed

But, if you decide to go for it, warn the customer that you do it as a sort of a test. Thell them that this is not your working rate. Do anything you like to improve the deal: the customer assumes a risk, you assume another (who can assure you that you will ever get paid?). But if you cannot assume a deal do never compromise quality. Customers never accept "you receive what you paid for". Hey: would you??? If you offer a correct professional translation, just do it or say "no thanks".
Collapse

Mercuri@
Mercuri@
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 26, 2007

Thanks everybody for your sincere advice! It certainly is very helpful to read different views.

I agree that you should not lower your quality because the price is low. How does that work anyway: "Ok, now I'm in lower quality modus."

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-03-26 19:03]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Newbie" needs assistance with a job offer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »