"Newbie" needs assistance with a job offer
Thread poster: Olli Leroy

Olli Leroy
Other
Local time: 21:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 25, 2007

How do I deal with this? I received an offer for 30 pages of translation within 4 days at 0,05$ per word...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-25 15:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
Forget it! Mar 25, 2007

That's a slave wage. Add to that the poor condition of the USD at the moment (as I see you are based in Europe) and it really does not look very attractive at all, does it?

Tina

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:47
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Quality? Mar 25, 2007

Actually quite fair! You can do a first draft in four days, depending on the actual number of words and the complexity. Of course, you will have no time to do any proper editing. The client is paying dribble and will receive dribble. As long as he knows what he is going to get, what's the problem? (What, he also wants quality for that price?)

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Haha Mar 25, 2007

rifkind wrote:

Actually quite fair! You can do a first draft in four days, depending on the actual number of words and the complexity. Of course, you will have no time to do any proper editing. The client is paying dribble and will receive dribble. As long as he knows what he is going to get, what's the problem? (What, he also wants quality for that price?)

You know, that's a good reply to remember:

low value for low pay

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess Mar 25, 2007

Tina Colquhoun wrote:

That's a slave wage. Add to that the poor condition of the USD at the moment (as I see you are based in Europe) and it really does not look very attractive at all, does it?

Tina

Getting started is never easy, that makes it all the more confusing.

CJG  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
cjguy Mar 25, 2007

If you want to start, you have to start somewhere. Depends on how many years experience you have. NEVER go for low quality, if you decide to accept the job. It is your reputation. If you are a good translator, they will soon realise what you are worth. If you produce low quality, they won't ask you again - and they will be right. It is up to you.
Don't you have pride in your work? Low value for low pay is what gets professional translators a bad name.

Frances Bryce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Ask for more money... see what they say! Mar 25, 2007

As the other guys have said, it really is a pittance!

I definately wouldn't worry too much about upsetting this client.... I can't imagine you'd want to accept too many jobs from them in the future at that rate

So it might be asking for more money and see what they say. They can only say no! What have you got to lose?

Good luck

I agree with cjguy on the quality issue.... low pay for low quality can never be the way forward. Not only that, but accepting low rates is only going to encourage clients/agencies to continue to demand/expect miracles!!

[Edited at 2007-03-25 18:58]

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Mar 25, 2007

cjguy wrote:

If you want to start, you have to start somewhere. Depends on how many years experience you have. NEVER go for low quality, if you decide to accept the job. It is your reputation. If you are a good translator, they will soon realise what you are worth. If you produce low quality, they won't ask you again - and they will be right. It is up to you.
Don't you have pride in your work? Low value for low pay is what gets professional translators a bad name.

So, it's either good pay or no work. I see.

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Mar 25, 2007

Frances Bramer wrote:

As the other guys have said, it really is a pittance!

I definately wouldn't worry too much about upsetting this client.... I can't imagine you'd want to accept too many jobs from them in the future at that rate

So it might be asking for more money and see what they say. They can only say no! What have you got to lose?

Good luck

What a coincidence! In fact I did reply. I said I'd do it for twice as much...

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was just thinking Mar 25, 2007

...of an experience I had last year when I applied for a job at some translation company. They charge their clients €0,12/word and the translator himself gets €0,04/word.

That's why I got confused, you see...It's not the first time I'm seeing this and the translation company didn't give in at all. So, I thought: Somebody must be working for this price...otherwise they would not be so stubborn, would they?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's how you deal with it... Mar 25, 2007

Ysav Boekstaaf wrote:
How do I deal with this? I received an offer for 30 pages of translation within 4 days at 0,05$ per word...

You're not under an obligation to accept an offer, Ysav.

CJG  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, it's good work for good pay. As Samuel says, you're under no obligation to take the job Mar 25, 2007

Ysav Boekstaaf wrote:

cjguy wrote:

So, it's either good pay or no work. I see.

[Edited at 2007-03-25 19:53]

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
one of the best things about being a translator Mar 25, 2007

... is turning down any job that doesn't seem right for some reason. Man, what a rush!

Agree w Frances: negotiate with them. That is also a skill you need for this job.

good luck,

Jim

p.s. (oh, I see you did! Well then you should be giving advice, not asking for it!)

[Edited at 2007-03-25 21:41]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Do a bit of marketing Mar 25, 2007

Hi Ysav,

Send your CV round 20 or so normal agencies. It takes quite a while to do that, and, by the time you have finished, a job will probably come in from a normal agency at normal (not generous) rates, and otherwise you might also find a normal, average one to bid for.

That is how I started off, anyway. I nearly always had to break off sending round the CVs, in order to do some work, well before I got to the 20th.

Astrid

Olli Leroy
Other
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only 20? Mar 26, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Hi Ysav,

Send your CV round 20 or so normal agencies. It takes quite a while to do that, and, by the time you have finished, a job will probably come in from a normal agency at normal (not generous) rates, and otherwise you might also find a normal, average one to bid for.

That is how I started off, anyway. I nearly always had to break off sending round the CVs, in order to do some work, well before I got to the 20th.

Astrid

I will definitely do that. Up until now it was merely responding to vacancies.

Don't think I'm lazy or so...I've already got a part-time job. I want to add "some" hours of translating.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Newbie" needs assistance with a job offer

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search