Extra charges
Thread poster: Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Local time: 20:09
German to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 20, 2002

I recently did a job of around 2000 words. After having translated and sent the text to the client, I got an e-mail asking me to paste parts of the translation into HTML-documents, which I did. The day after I got another e-mail, with the HTML-documents attached - now edited - asking whether I could mark all the translated words in blue. I also did this, but slightly annoyed, since I was busy with a big project, with a tight deadline.

The day after, I got yet another e-mail
... See more
I recently did a job of around 2000 words. After having translated and sent the text to the client, I got an e-mail asking me to paste parts of the translation into HTML-documents, which I did. The day after I got another e-mail, with the HTML-documents attached - now edited - asking whether I could mark all the translated words in blue. I also did this, but slightly annoyed, since I was busy with a big project, with a tight deadline.

The day after, I got yet another e-mail asking me to do more editing. Once again, I did so, but now adding that I unfortunately was occupied for the time being, but would be pleased to assist the client with more requests at a later time.

Of course, now I didn\'t hear from him again.

I am now wondering how to charge for the job - only for the actual translated words or also for the added hours of editing?

And, would you have done the extra tasks, without nicely telling the client to back of - to avoid losing a customer?

/Jonas
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
German to English
+ ...
Probably nothing you can do after the fact Dec 20, 2002

but next time I would not do any extra editing without first saying \"I can do this for you by XXX. My editing rate is XXX per hour.\"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra charges

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »