pricing of knitting patterns translation -advice needed
Thread poster: ecolotrad
ecolotrad
Local time: 01:24
English to French
May 10, 2007

Hello,

I have been translating knitting patterns for a few years, as a hobby and to help. Now the company changed the distribution channel, and wants to have the patterns translated directly for her. As it becomes something different than a hobby, I have difficulties to know how much I can charge fro the translation.
The price will be per pattern, and I counted that in a brochure, the patterns are usually around 1300 words. Of course there are lots of repetitions, and lots of numbers, and it is difficult to pay per word (the numbers count as words in word). That is how it looks in french :

" DOS
Avec les aig n°5 monter 92 [96:100: 104: 108: 114] m.
Commencer par un rg endroit et tric 14 rgs en jersey end.
* Rg suivant – (10 m end, 2 m end ens) 2 fois, tric end jusqu’aux 24 dern m, (Gl 1 m, 1 m end, faire passer la m glissée par-dessus la m obtenue, 10 m end) 2 fois. 88 [92: 96: 100: 104:110] m.
Tric encore 11 rgs, en terminant par un rg sur l’env du trav.
Rép depuis* encore 4 fois, puis le 1er rg encore une fois. 68 [72: 76: 80: 84: 90] m.
Continuer tout droit à ce que le dos mesure 37 [37: 39:40: 40: 42] cm.
Emmanchures
Rabattre 3 [4: 4: 5: 6: 6] m au début des 2 rgs suivants. 62 [64: 68: 70: 72: 78] m.
Tric 0 [2: 2; 4: 4: 4] rgs en dim 0 [1: 1: 1: 1: 1] m de chaque côté à chaque rg.
62 [60: 64: 62: 64: 70] m. "

It takes me about 40 mn to one hour to translate a pattern, and I do not know how much I can ask, knowing that if I register (and I will), I will have charges. I also rarely do more than 5 patterns/day, if this is taken into account...?

Thanks in advance,

Stéphanie.

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Per hour, and keep in mind May 10, 2007

Hi Stéphanie,

since you say they take about an hour, why not charge per hour? That would give you a fixed price per pattern.

I don't know if you have another paid job to compare this to, but you could try to calculate what you would get per hour in a 'regular' job, before taxes and such. Charge that. Keep in mind that in a regular job, there's also premiums and insurances and such to pay.

Sounds like an interesting job, almost makes me want to get out my knitting basket (haven't done any knitting in years, but I used to like to).

Good luck!
Margreet

[Edited at 2007-05-10 17:09]

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:24
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Charge per hour May 10, 2007

It's the best way in this case, I think. And as you say one pattern takes you about an hour...

Good luck!

Cristina

ecolotrad
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
hour rate then? May 10, 2007

thanks !

yes it would be a solution to estimate in comparison to the hour - but how much can I ask per hour?
I see in your profiles some hour rates, how did you calculate them, and are they all taxes included?

Stéphanie.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Rate calculator? May 10, 2007

Hi Stéphanie,

Have you tried the rate calculator, under the Jobs tab at the top of the page? It might give you some idea, at least.

Astrid

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:24
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Calculations May 10, 2007

Hi Stéphanie,

Good advice from all the others. In my case, I checked my hourly rate at my previous job (I looked at the receipt), checked profiles from other people from my country here in Proz and made some calculations...

And yes, tax included.

Best,

Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pricing of knitting patterns translation -advice needed

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search