"Swiftcode","ISBN","PayPal","Moneybooker", "Xoom", etc - can you explain?
Thread poster: krishna mallick

krishna mallick
India
Local time: 08:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2007

I am not aware of any payment method if I take translation from other country. I saw these terms used somewhere. "Swiftcode","ISBN","PayPal","Moneybooker", "Xoom", "Wire transfer"

Hence kindly educate me what they are how to go about it.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-19 07:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:52
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

A few answers Jun 19, 2007

Hi

"Swiftcode", = IBAN = International Bank Account Number
"ISBN", = International Standard Book Number

"PayPal", = Paypal.com
"Moneybooker", = Moneybookers.com
"Xoom", = Xoom.com
= all 3 international payment services

"Wire transfer" = Account to account transfer of money, direct or via a giro service e.g. PostGiro in many European countries.

Best regards

Mats Wiman

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
SWIFTBIC and IBAN Jun 19, 2007

My bank account shows these two numbers (which are somewhat similar but not identical), i.e. SWIFT is linked to BIC (Bank Identifier C ode), not IBAN. Both these have to be supplied to anyone who wants to make payments directly into your account by "wire transfer".

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clarification Jun 19, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

My bank account shows these two numbers (which are somewhat similar but not identical), i.e. SWIFT is linked to BIC (Bank Identifier C ode), not IBAN. Both these have to be supplied to anyone who wants to make payments directly into your account by "wire transfer".

SWIFT (aka BIC) is used to identify the bank and branch office where the recipient's account is located.
Most proper banks in the world has a SWIFT/BIC code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Worldwide_Interbank_Financial_Telecommunication

IBAN is a unique number tied to your bank account only.
Currently, the IBAN number is adopted in about 40 countries only! (Roughly the EES + Mediterranean countries).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

For bank transfers within the IBAN space, you only need the SIFT/BIC + the IBAN, those references are enough for your money to find their way to the right account.
This also means that the fees for bank transfers within the IBAN space are low, or even free of charge, as long as you provide the numbers.

If you live in India, it's a different ball game, I guess someone else can chime in on your options there.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-06-19 10:01]

[Edited at 2007-06-19 10:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Swiftcode","ISBN","PayPal","Moneybooker", "Xoom", etc - can you explain?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search