Opening a Paypal account - which account type should I select?
Thread poster: xxxFresia177
xxxFresia177
Local time: 17:30
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2007

Hello, dear colleagues! As Im quite new to this site, I would like to recive some advice re opening my paypal account. Which one u suggest i should open - personal, premier or a business account at paypal? I don't jave experience with such type of money transfers, as living in Latvia always recived money directly to my bank account!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-01 14:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Personal Jul 1, 2007

Hi Fresia,

I've been using a Personal account for a couple of years without any problem. I can send, receive and withdraw money without paying any fees, though there are a few limitations. You can't receive payments with credit or debit card (at least not without paying some fees...). I think you can receive a few payments of this kind per months without upgrading, but I've never used this system because at least in my case, the fees would be higher than what my bank charges for wire transfers.

There is also some kind of limit to the amount you can withdraw per month, but unless you expect to receive very large sums, this may not be a problem at first.

One importat thing you have to make sure of, is how to withdraw money. Unless Paypal is accepted in your country, you may have to withdraw to an account in the US or other countries (mainly European), or to be able to receive an cash Paypal checks in your country.

Good luck!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:30
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Start with personal Jul 1, 2007

Hi, as most likely you know by now there are 3 kinds of accounts: personal, premier and business. I would suggest starting with personal and if need be upgrading latter on to premier (it gives you more options when it comes to accepting payments however involves higher fees when receiving payments). What you may also consider is establishing 2 accounts (maximum allowed by Paypal) - yo could use your personal account for most of your payments and premier account to accept cards).

Most likely you won't need business account, at least not untll you establish translation agency and have employees.

Kind Regards

Staszek

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
PayPal fee schedule Jul 1, 2007

You can see the difference in fees between personal and premium/business accounts here.

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A related topic on the very same issue Jul 1, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/76044

xxxFresia177
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 2, 2007

Dear freinds, thank u for your advices, but by reading Latvian posts on the subjects I found out that unfortunately one cannot retrieve money from paypal in latvia:((

jlrsnyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
work-arounds Jul 7, 2007

One way to work around the PayPal limitations is to make an arrangement with a trusted colleague in a country with PayPal service to accept payments for you and transfer the money to your Moneybookers account.

Another method would be to open a bank account in a country where PayPal is operational, accept payments into that account, then use XE-Trade to transfer the money from bank to bank.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
I am sorry Jul 8, 2007

but this advice is not good at all - "to open a bank account in a country where PayPal is operational, accept payments into that account, then use XE-Trade to transfer the money from bank to bank."

The same moment the owner of paypal account will try to make a transaction with the account from an internet terminal in Latvia (identified by IP-address), the account will be blocked (they say to avoid any fraud).

[Edited at 2007-07-08 10:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a Paypal account - which account type should I select?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search