Contractual work for the UN - tax exempted?
Thread poster: stephbell

stephbell
France
Local time: 14:16
English to French
+ ...
Jul 2, 2007

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had done contractual work for the UN, and if it was tax exempted in your country of residence? I know that full time UN employees are tax exempted, but was wondering if it was the case for freelancers?

Thank you in advance,

Stephanie

Bilore  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It wasn't in my case... Jul 2, 2007

Hi Stephanie

I worked under a contract with the UN in 2005. Actually I had submitted my quote just like for a usual client and never thought it could be tax exempted.

Now I'm faced with another interesting situation: I regularly do volunteer translations for another NGO. This time they came saying they could offer me a subvention for a potential translation. I'm still waiting for this to be confirmed but I'll keep you posted about the "fiscal" status of such a job if I get it.

[Edited at 2007-07-02 18:05]

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:16
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Not exempted Jul 2, 2007

Hello Stephanie,

I worked for the UN both full-time, and as a freelancer, and I was not tax exempted in the latter case. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Andrei

stephbell
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrei! Jul 2, 2007

Andrei Albu wrote:

Hello Stephanie,

I worked for the UN both full-time, and as a freelancer, and I was not tax exempted in the latter case. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Andrei

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contractual work for the UN - tax exempted?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search