Contractual work for the UN - tax exempted?
Thread poster: stephbell

stephbell
France
Local time: 10:12
English to French
+ ...
Jul 2, 2007

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had done contractual work for the UN, and if it was tax exempted in your country of residence? I know that full time UN employees are tax exempted, but was wondering if it was the case for freelancers?

Thank you in advance,

Stephanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Bilore  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It wasn't in my case... Jul 2, 2007

Hi Stephanie

I worked under a contract with the UN in 2005. Actually I had submitted my quote just like for a usual client and never thought it could be tax exempted.

Now I'm faced with another interesting situation: I regularly do volunteer translations for another NGO. This time they came saying they could offer me a subvention for a potential translation. I'm still waiting for this to be confirmed but I'll keep you posted about the "fiscal" status of such a job if I get it.

[Edited at 2007-07-02 18:05]

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:12
English to Romanian
+ ...
Not exempted Jul 2, 2007

Hello Stephanie,

I worked for the UN both full-time, and as a freelancer, and I was not tax exempted in the latter case. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Andrei

stephbell
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrei! Jul 2, 2007

Andrei Albu wrote:

Hello Stephanie,

I worked for the UN both full-time, and as a freelancer, and I was not tax exempted in the latter case. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Andrei

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contractual work for the UN - tax exempted?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search