Collection agency in Belgium
Thread poster: CJG

CJG  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2007

Does anybody know of a good collection agency in Belgium?

Vitaliy Shkonda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
инкассирующее агентство Jul 6, 2007

collection agency = инкассирующее агентство (любое учреждение, выступающее в качестве посредника при взыскании каких-л. платежей, напр., налогов, просроченных долгов и т. п.) Syn: collecting agency See: debt collection agency , debt collection , debt collector , collection action collection agency агентство по сбору платежей

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
Intrum Justitia Jul 6, 2007

www.intrum.be

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Take the bull by the horns Jul 6, 2007

cjguy wrote:

Does anybody know of a good collection agency in Belgium?

Yes, yourself.

Get in your car and drive there, isn't far but certainly far more effective, less time-consuming and significantly cheaper than a collection agency. Most of them are hopeless.

You could even meet up with [a fellow translator] for coffee [initial removed as this has apparently caused offence, my sincerest apologies]

Good luck

[Edited at 2007-07-06 16:09]

CJG  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I was looking for Jul 6, 2007

I was looking for something a little more constructive!

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:35
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
try a formal letter Jul 6, 2007

Of course, we do not know the reason of non-payment (maybe the agency has real and sound reasons for that).

[Edited at 2007-07-06 13:46]

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:35
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
try a formal letter Jul 6, 2007

[quote]MariusV wrote:

Of course, we do not know the reason of non-payment (maybe the agency has real and sound reasons for that). But if they are just non-payers or just drag with payment too long and do not react, try writing a very formal letter to them explaining all things in a very "dry" way (without all those negative emotions - as if this letter will be one of the many that will go to a court of law) and in the last sentence mention that you will go up for legal procedures if the issue is not solved. Sometimes it helps a lot (when non-payers get to understand you can really go the legal way and it is better to pay to avoid huge expenses)...A BB record also helps (if they care about their good reputation). And send this letter via registered airmail (to have a good proof you sent it).

If they do not react upon the dates of payment as a mutual solution without the legal procedures, wait for 2-3 days and call their boss directly and simply ask a question - are they going to pay or not, because you have to know if to tell your lawyer to initiate the legal procedures already.

Hope it would work. Good luck.

CJG  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a last resort Jul 6, 2007

MariusV wrote:

Of course, we do not know the reason of non-payment (maybe the agency has real and sound reasons for that). But if they are just non-payers or do not send the willingness to pay, try writing a very formal letter to them explaining all things in a very "dry" way and in the last sentence mention that you will go up for legal procedures if the issue is not solved. Sometimes it helps a lot (when non-payers get to understand you can really go the legal way)...

I kept a record of receipt of their email thanking me for the translations and confirming that invoices had been received (also with thanks, though they alleged they had not received them the first time, thus extending the period by another thirty days, as it was the end of the month). I have actually sent two formal emails and pointed out, enclosing the relevant EU directive, that their payment policy is actually illegal. This is my last resort, believe me.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Send the invoice by airmail, too Jul 6, 2007

Marius makes a good point:
And send this letter via registered airmail (to have a good proof you sent it).

Make sure you send the invoice by registered (air)mail, too.

Best, Ralf

Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Intrum Justitia? Jul 6, 2007

Williamson mentioned Intrum Justitia.
I'll admit, their website does not look terribly well-designed, but they are a serious agency; that is, if they are the same as the agency with the same name in the Netherlands.

Maybe it is even a good thing to choose an agency with offices in both Belgium and NL.

I have never used their services, but I know a housing association that does. I once lived in one of their houses and have spoken to a number of representatives from Intrum (previous occupants left and never paid the rent for all the time they'd lived there, a full six months). These people seemed professional and reasonable to me - why not give it a try?

On the website, www.intrum.be, choose Nederlands, Producten, Gerechtelijk. There's also www.intrum.nl. looks a little better, and there's a tab Internationaal, I guess that's what you need.
The sites look very identical, so I guess it's the same agency.

Good luck!

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Staying strictly on point ... Jul 6, 2007

... with no further mention of tea or coffee.

I wasn't being flippant about going straight to the agency's offices in person. It's not that far (if the invoice amount warrants it) and you'll be able to determine what's going on far better than by e-mail or phone (I assumed you've phoned, if not try that first).

It's far more difficult to dodge people face-to-face. Make as though you were in town, keep it friendly (at the outset).

If you see you're being messed around, go see a local lawyer while you're there (again if the invoice amount warrants it) and start proper proceedings. He has more to work with as you've gone to the effort of visiting the debtor (that actually means something in Belgian law, the suggestion isn't Friday afternoon frivolity on my part). Just make sure you take all relevant docs with you.

Collection agencies are quite often a waste of time and charge heavy commissions when they are actually successful.

And you can always use the time to see other clients/colleagues, doesn't have to be a trip purely for this.

Being pro-active and doing the unexpected often pays off.

Just a suggestion, meant to be constructive.

Best of luck

[Edited at 2007-07-06 15:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collection agency in Belgium

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search