Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:47
German to English
+ ...
Jan 22, 2003

Some time ago, someone who works with a large international company told me that patent translation pays really well.

Now I have been given my first patent translation to do, at my normal general rates, which are not high. The language used is not difficult and so I have accepted it.

There are still two days to go to the deadline, and I have now been asked by the same firm if I will do a longer, more difficult patent translation, with a fairly tight deadline.

I feel
... See more
Some time ago, someone who works with a large international company told me that patent translation pays really well.

Now I have been given my first patent translation to do, at my normal general rates, which are not high. The language used is not difficult and so I have accepted it.

There are still two days to go to the deadline, and I have now been asked by the same firm if I will do a longer, more difficult patent translation, with a fairly tight deadline.

I feel I am being sucked into something here and wonder if anyone could tell me(privately, if preferred) what a reasonable rate might be. I have two years of experience of translating but have been using both my source languages for around 40 years.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Collapse

Nicholas-George Piatkowski
Nicholas-George Piatkowski
Local time: 18:47
English to Romanian
+ ...
Rates for patent translations Feb 18, 2003

Dear All,

Please do not forget that free enterprise means negotiation and fixing of prices,depending of the free market !

Of course patent translations are highly specialized and technical, thus allowing higher rates up to 0,1 -0,15 Euro/ word - for a specialized translator in the field ( chemistry, medical, engineering,aso); but this is not the issue :all depends on term, expertise and how much would the outsourcer want to pay!Example :Translation Agencies or Industrial prop
... See more
Dear All,

Please do not forget that free enterprise means negotiation and fixing of prices,depending of the free market !

Of course patent translations are highly specialized and technical, thus allowing higher rates up to 0,1 -0,15 Euro/ word - for a specialized translator in the field ( chemistry, medical, engineering,aso); but this is not the issue :all depends on term, expertise and how much would the outsourcer want to pay!Example :Translation Agencies or Industrial property Agencies(both state and private) are paying 2,5 US$/page to one free

lance translator and billing foreign client 25-30 US $/page!( It happened in Romania, and still in progress) .

Hope you understand my meaning. Ciao
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Patent Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »